Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Instructional Design, the Instructional Designer plans, executes, tests, and assesses instructional design projects as part of a full-service model for Hofstra University faculty. The incumbent works closely with UI/UX, media developers, student developers, and other team members to design and develop premium online course content. This person will, under general direction, use effective instructional delivery methods; modern, sleek and intuitive UI/UX design practices; and provide strong faculty support at all stages of the instructional design process.
Characteristic duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Collaborate with Hofstra University faculty, students, academic leadership, and colleagues on Hofstra’s Information Technology team designing and building Hofstra University Online Course content and modules.
• Support online course faculty in their use of online technologies as part of the Hofstra Online experience.
• Follow an established pace and design standard for a full-service instructional design model that leverages ADDIE to ensure excellence in the analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation of online course content and delivery.
• Apply engaging and interactive tools in the delivery of developed course content.
• Take advantage of professional development and presentation opportunities.
• Track and participate in the complex workflows of the instructional design process, ensuring that the assigned loads is completed on time, and at the high standards required for Hofstra University.
• Coordinate with faculty to assemble content.
• Maintain a current and working understanding of various interactive and engaging technologies available for use in online courses and programs, including various cutting-edge and interactive technologies, such as AR/VR, adaptive learning, and artificial.
• Partner with internal and external support providers to ensure that Hofstra Online students are well supported at all times.
• Be flexible, innovative, creative, and have a passion for our work in supporting faculty and students.
• Work in a team environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously with on-time deliverables.
This position may require some evening, nighttime and weekend work
• Bachelor's degree required. Master’s degree in instructional design, education with a concentration online, or other related field aligned with the responsibilities of the position preferred.
• 3-5 years experience working with faculty and academic leadership in the development and delivery of top tier, visually compelling, engaging, and interactive online course content – including layout and design - at the university level.
• Strong practical technical skills in a wide variety of online technologies including but not limited to Mac, Windows, and mobile device operating systems; various academic software; various media development software, and learning management system platforms.
• Knowledge of teaching, learning, pedagogy, and faculty development.
• Understanding of the use of LMSs and other software and innovative technologies used in a fully online graduate level academic environment.
• Willingness to troubleshoot problems and discover solutions to solving those problems.
• Demonstrated ability to work closely and carefully with faculty, the IT team and other members of the Hofstra community to maintain an atmosphere of courtesy, professionalism and strong service.
• Experience working in higher education in support of faculty.
• Demonstrated fluency in written and spoken English with the sophistication necessary to effectively communicate technical details to both technical and non-technical individuals.
• Demonstrated willingness and ability to carry out the essential responsibilities listed with humility, grace, and optimism.
• Understanding of and sensitivity to the diverse and inclusive nature of a distinguished higher education environment.
For consideration, please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to [email protected] Please indicate "Instructional Designer" in the subject line.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.