Job no: 226763-TE
Work type: Temporary
Department:WU/FAC MGT/MU BLG SRV
Categories: Custodial, Other
This position will perform general building maintenance and custodial work for Memorial Union under limited
supervision of the Custodial Supervisor and/or lead workers.
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
No Degree RequiredMinimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
- 3 months of previous cleaning, custodial, hospitality, or related experience within an academic, commercial or residential environment preferred.
- 6 months of previous continuous employment preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to walk, stand, lift, carry, bend, stoop and climb stairs for the majority of the shift with or without an accommodation.
- Ability to extend and/or raise arms to above head height daily with or without an accommodation.
- Lift and move supplies, equipment and materials regularly weighing up to 50 lbs. without accommodation and occasionally weighing up to 100 lbs with or without an accommodation.
- Move, push and stack furniture regularly, often in excess of 100 lbs with or without an accommodation.
- Safe operation of standard mechanical and/or electrical equipment to include but not limited to; trash compactor, snow removal equipment, custodial equipment , ladders etc.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Read and interpret diagrams and floor plans.
- Floor care products, floor finishes and equipment .
- Proper restroom sanitation procedures.
- Safe handling of cleaning chemicals and products.
- Recycling guidelines.
- Carpet cleaning products.
- Safe storage of cleaning products and chemicals.
- Basic maintenance of equipment, i.e. vacuums, scrubbers, etc.
- The work is sometimes performed under stressful conditions depending on the level of customers activity in the building such as that resulting from conferences, special events, seasonal activities and academic events.
- The work environment requires that the incumbent communicate courteously, following customer service standards, to vendors, customers and coworkers, often under stressful circumstances. The work must be performed within time constraints, meeting delivery schedules and internal deadlines.
A965030-WISCONSIN UNION/FAC MGT/MU BLG SRVAppointment Type, Duration:
Terminal, month appointment.
This position has the possibility to be extended or converted to an ongoing appointment based on need and/or funding
To be considered, applications must be submitted online. Please fill out the work history form.Contact:
Temporary EmploymentJob Number:
226763-TEThe University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability, you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: https://employeedisabilities.wisc.edu/disability-accommodation-information-for-applicants/
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) Project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in Fall 2020. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://hr.wisc.edu/title-and-total-compensation-study/.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Applications Open: Aug 27 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications Close:Sep 17 2020 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time