Extension Agent, FCS
Posting DetailsVacancy TypeNC Cooperative ExtensionIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoJob TypeFull-Time - PermanentTime-Limited Appointment LengthNoIf Yes, Appointment LengthTitleExtension Agent, FCSWorking TitleExtension Agent, FCSSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeMinimum - Bachelor's Degree $40,000; Minimum - Master's Degree $45,000Position NumberNE-00065455-0820Work Schedule8:30 am - 5 pm Monday-Friday; nights & weekends as necessary.Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department117736 - Northeast District - HalifaxDepartmentHalifax CountyJob City & StateHalifax, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
North Carolina Cooperative Extension gives our residents easy access to the resources and expertise of NC State University and NC A&T State University. Through educational programs, publications, and events, Cooperative Extension field faculty deliver unbiased, research-based information to North Carolina citizens.
Halifax County is located in the Roanoke River and Tar-Pamlico River basins and encompasses an area of approximately 731 square miles. With one metro area, Roanoke Rapids, it is still predominately a rural agricultural county and it borders Northampton county along the Roanoke River. The town of Halifax is the county seat. As of the 2010 census, there were 54,691 people.
The annual county Health Assessment reveals that Halifax County residents rank 95th out of 100 NC counties in Health Outcomes. The county health statistics point to the high potential for positive impacts that can be made through addressing obesity and physical activity & nutrition.Essential Job Duties
Essential responsibilities for the position include planning, marketing, conducting and evaluating educational programs in Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) for Halifax County.
Emphasis of the Family and Consumer Sciences program is on nutrition, food safety, health and wellness, food preservation, chronic disease reduction, and volunteer management. The position will conduct viable, proactive research-based educational programs in these areas primarily for adult audiences. The position will collaborate with Extension agents in the region on common educational program initiatives. A third of the programmatic time will be spent working with SNAP-Ed implementation, educating and inspiring limited resource county residents to adopt healthy eating and physical activity behaviors through a series of nutrition education programs and initiatives targeting preschoolers through 4th grade students, adults, and communities. This also includes building partnerships within communities to support healthy eating and physical activity initiatives.
There is a strong demand for food safety information from home audiences, non-profit organizations, faith-based organizations, commercial food operations and the restaurant trade. The ability to obtain training in an approved food safety certification program is expected.Other Work/Responsibilities
The agent in this position will provide leadership for the development, implementation, evaluation, and marketing of an effective educational program in family and consumer sciences, including the areas of foods, nutrition, and health.
The FCS Agent is responsible for SNAP-Ed implementation, educating and inspiring limited resource North Carolinian’s to adopt healthy eating and physical activity behaviors through a series of nutrition education programs and initiatives targeting preschoolers through 4th grade students, adults, and families.
Additionally, the agent will work to identify opportunities for providing assistance to community partners in the area of improving their policies, systems, and environments to better support healthy eating and physical activity. The agent works with the project and county team, pro-actively providing programming to their appointed counties.
Essential job duties include:
• Recruit limited-resource families and individuals who meet the federal eligibility guidelines for participation in SNAP-Ed.
• Coordinate with collaborating agencies to plan and implement programs.
• Conduct direct nutrition education programs as outlined in Steps to Health program curricula and training.
• Facilitate the collection of appropriate demographic and evaluation data using specified tools.
• Purchase and prepare food and supplies for program specific taste tests.
• Track and spend within provided budgets for each program.
• Participate in Steps to Health trainings.
• With guidance from and in collaboration with Steps to Health campus staff, support partnering agencies in making positive improvements in nutrition and physical activity policies, systems, and environmental changes.
• Travel within assigned counties and to state office.
• Track and maintain program related paperwork such as data, inventory, and other documentation in an organized manner.
One of the following educational requirements: – A Bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or a 3.0 in family and consumer sciences (formerly known as home economics) or a related field (based on a 4.0 scale). The minimum GPA requirement will be waived for NCCE Program Associates with a Bachelor’s degree. – A Bachelor’s degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master’s degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average 3.0 or higher with at least one degree in family and consumer sciences (formerly known as home economics) or a related field, or – Completion of a Master’s degree with at least one degree in family and consumer sciences (formerly known as home economics) or a related field. Also required: a personal automobile; computer literacy; strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to plan, implement, market, and evaluate educational programs; willingness to work as a team member and support a total Extension program; and the ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities. Personal Attributes: Successful performance of the duties encompassed in the County Extension Agent’s job requires that the individual possess habits of industry, a sense of responsibility, and a genuine appreciation for the worth of the individual. The employee must be adept in both oral and written communication. The County Extension Agent is eligible to become a member of the non-tenure track/special faculty at North Carolina State University. The County Extension Agent has primary responsibility for planning, executing, and evaluating that phase of county Extension programs within assigned areas of program responsibility. The County Extension Agent cooperates with colleagues in the North Carolina Cooperative Extension and county leaders in performing assigned responsibilities. The performance of assigned responsibilities is governed by the philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension.Departmental Required Skills
A Bachelor’s degree in family and consumer sciences, nutrition or related science is required.
Computer literacy including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is expected.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Candidates should have excellent time and resource management skills, should be personable, and able to build networking coalitions. ServSafe instructor certification is also highly desirable.Required License or Certification
Valid Driver’s License and reliable, personal transportation required. Valid North Carolina driver’s license is required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.Special InstructionsJob Open Date08/26/2020Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.09/09/2020Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- * If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * All agent positions require a minimum education requirement of: A. A Bachelor's degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or 3.0 in major field of study (based on a 4.0 scale); B. A Bachelor's degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master's degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher; C. A completed Master's degree. Do you meet this minimum education requirement?
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section A above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section B above.
- Yes, I meet the requirement listed in section C above.
- No, however I am in my last semester of study.
- No, I do not meet this requirement.
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3