Part-Time Temp Employees - Medical Assistant
Job Title: Part-Time Temp Employees - Medical Assistant
Location: Campus Health Services
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 605049
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
- Must be flexible and available during clinic hours from 8am-5pm; days and times may vary depending on need.
- Will be assisting with COVID-19 patient testing as well as patient monitoring and symptom management; should be comfortable with nasopharyngeal swabbing techniques.
- Requires strong verbal and written communication skills; should be comfortable interacting with patients in person, via emails and over the phone.
- Working in team environment with other medical personnel.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Furlough/Pay Reduction Program
Northern Arizona University has implemented a salary reduction with personal flex time program in fiscal year 2021, as a result of COVID-19. It is possible for this position to be subject to this program. Details can be found on the HR website.
Participates as a vital member of the health care team, providing ambulatory nursing care to college students, faculty and staff of NAU. This care includes basic data collection and documentation of patient status; observing, administering and documenting approved nursing procedures; attending to patients’ comfort needs: and performing other specific duties as needed by the nursing unit under the supervision of a physician, nurse practitioner (NP), physician’s assistant (PA) or registered nurse (RN).
The care provided by the MA is delegated by the Director of Nursing, who in conjunction with the Medical Director, will ensure that all appropriate training requirements have been met and validated. It is the responsibility of the physician, PA, or NP working with the MA to ensure that the MA has been properly trained in any duties that he/she may delegate to the MA. The physician, PA, or NP should collaborate with the Director of Nursing should there be a need for any training.
Upon completion of orientation and training, the MA will review their orientation skills checklist with either the Nursing Coordinator or the Director of Nursing to evaluate competency and/or need for further training. A copy of the skills checklist will be kept on file with CHS.
This position requires the full understanding of and active participation in fulfilling the mission of the organization. It is expected that the employee demonstrates behavior consistent with the organization’s core values and supports the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs strategic plan. The employee must be committed to supporting the values of student service, student success, integrity, engagement, diversity, and health and well-being.
- Prepares patients for health care visits and rooms patients per protocol.
- Assists medical provider with exams and procedures as appropriately delegated.
- Collaborates with team members to promote optimal clinic workflow.
- Assists with documentation/data input of university immunization requirements.
- Administers medications and immunizations as ordered by the medical provider and in compliance with CHS policies and procedures.
- Documents appropriately in the electronic health record (EHR) including all interventions, phone conversations, or other interactions.
- Communicates clearly with provider in a timely manner to ensure that patient needs are met and the plan of care is optimized.
- Coordinates any patient follow-up care as requested.
- Provides basic patient education as directed.
- Responsible for cleaning and sterilizing instruments and maintaining a clean and hygienic work environment.
- Stocks and maintains supplies.
- Schedules appointments and conducts pre-authorizations for clinicians as needed.
- Maintains a safe work environment by following CHS Infection Control policy and OSHA guidelines.
- May assist with other patient care duties (within scope of practice) as delegated by MD, NP, PA, or RN.
- Collaborates with other members of the healthcare team to meet patient needs, promote continuity of care and optimize patient outcomes.
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times and projects a professional image of CHS to the community we serve.
- Training and/or experience that qualifies one to perform as a Medical Assistant, as defined by the Arizona Medical Board:
- Current BLS certification.
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education.
- Completion of an approved medical assistant training program; ORCompletion of an unapproved medical assistant training program AND passing an approved medical assistant examination administerd by a certifying organization accredited by either the National Commission for Certifying Agencies or the American National Standards Institute.If practice started prior to February 2, 2000, completion of an unapproved medical assistant training program AND employment as a medical assistant after program completion; ORIf practice started prior to February 2002, direct supervision by the same physician, physician group, or physician assistant for at least 2000 hours; ORCompletion of a medical services training program of the Armed Forces of the United States.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of medical terminology.Ability to effectively communicate.The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $13.00 - $18.75 per hour.
**The starting hourly wage will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a part-time temporary, non benefit-eligible position.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.