Business & HR Senior Professional
DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Denver Administration and Finance; Budget and Fiscal Planning OfficeBusiness and Human Resources Senior ProfessionalPosition #00733800, Requisition #19093 *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers* The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. Administration and Finance within the Budget and Fiscal Planning Office has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) HR & Budget Senior Professional position. As Colorado’s public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research, creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver graduates gain the powerful combination of immersive classroom and real-world experience that are in demand today. The city benefits from well-educated, top talent and a new generation of knowledge that fuels the future of Denver and our region. We are CU in the City. CU Denver offers more than 100 degree programs, from the bachelor’s to the doctoral level, in the heart of downtown. Here, more than 15,000 students pursue academic programs that range from global energy management to music industry studies to criminal justice. As part of the state’s largest public university system, CU Denver is a major contributor to the Colorado economy, with nearly 2,500 employees and annual economic impact of $800 million. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here. Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities. Senior Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed fully independently. The Business and Human Resources Senior Professional is responsible for providing business services and human resources support for the Chancellor’s Office, Administration and Finance, and all other units that report directly and indirectly. The position is responsible for carrying out the day-to-day functions of budget, fiscal activity, human resources and business operations. This includes budget management, monitoring financial transactions, procurement, and human resources support, and ensuring compliance with applicable policies and procedures. The Business and Human Resources Senior Professional will be integral in the development and implementation of business and operation plans, policies and procedures for the areas of responsibility. The position exercises initiative to achieve organizational goals and objectives, maintains confidentiality, and establishes and maintains positive working relationships across a diverse constituent base. This individual must possess a broad knowledge of budgeting and fiscal management and a high level of discretion, analytical, technical and problem-solving skills. This individual reports to and is supervised by the Senior Director of Budget within the Budget and Fiscal Planning Office. Examples of Work Performed:
- Support the Budget and Fiscal Planning team in the development of the CU Denver budget.
- Monitor and track commitments and obligations, working closely with leadership on the development of operating resources and identifying variances.
- Provide budget-related financial management, reporting, and analysis for internal and external stakeholders.
- Day-to-day fiscal support including procurement, accounting, monitoring transactions, and preparing and/or approving expense reports.
- Collaborate with the Budget & Fiscal Planning team to improve the quality of budget management and reporting, serving individuals, departments, and leadership within the larger campus community.
- Review budget and fiscal activity for accuracy and provide an organizational view of the consolidated campus budget for the Senior Director of Budget.
- Create monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for area unit leaders on fund statuses and operational balances.
- Support the request and operating budget cycles in an efficient and timely manner, providing technical analysis as well as synthesizing information for effective communication and distribution.
- Support the Budget and Fiscal Planning Office in updating budget data and ensuring accuracy in budgeting software tools and systems and serve as a subject matter expert in training for end users.
- Create and provide training, oversight, and support for other Business Services roles within units assigned.
- Provide support to assigned units in Human Resources processes including but not limited to search support (including letters of offer), time collection for monthly and bi‐weekly employees, updating information in the human resources system, and serving as the day-to-day point person for human resources functions.
- Assist with new hires and other employee actions as needed, including onboarding support with supervisors, and the completion of all required paperwork (I‐9’s, background checks, personnel data, etc.)
- Independently research and review issues associated with payrolls such as overpayments, late pay, incorrect pay and other payroll issues, and resolving matters as they arise.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, or directly related field from an accredited institution and two years of progressively responsible finance or budget related experience.
- 2 years of experience in budget and fiscal management, including reporting, review, and analysis.
- 2 years of experience in administrative and/or human resources activities, such as office management, payroll, recruitment, training/development, and or onboarding
- PeopleSoft or other Oracle-based financial and human resources system experience is highly desired
- Budget and/or financial work experience within the University of Colorado
- Human Resources work experience within the University of Colorado
- Experience delivering training to others on processes, procedures, and tools
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting processes.
- Demonstrated competence in the use of MS Office applications, particularly MS Excel and MS Access, for spreadsheets, statistical analysis, graphics, and decision support.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data by using spreadsheets, databases, and modeling applications.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage interrelated and/or complex issues or transactions.
- Ability to evaluate policies and exercise good judgment in the interpretation and application of procedures and rules.
- Familiarity with the State of Colorado and University of Colorado budgetary processes
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Aug 26, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing