Requisition InformationPosted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleTelecommunicatorPosting NumberS01449Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week40Regular, Temporary or TermRegularIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedHourlyGradeOP3Hiring Minimum$16.00DepartmentPublic SafetyLocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background CheckPosition Summary
The telecommunicator acts as a primary emergency contact, a general information center and a message relay center for the campus. This position coordinates dispatch and deployment of Security and Facilities personnel.Essential Functions
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Maintains College communications:
- Answers all DPS phones and emergency lines and initiates and implements emergency protocols.
- Primary contact for all physical plant and college community concerns after regular business hours, weekends and during academic breaks 365 days a year.
- Monitors the alarm system, which includes the Keltron Fire & Burglar alarms, 911 emergency system for all 911 calls dialed from on campus, and Insight/ HVAC systems that are used for fire alarms, ammonia leaks, burglary alarms, temperature alarms, pump failure and water level alarms.
- Monitors the card access system, controlling lock and unlock of doors as instructed or as necessary, access card distribution, panic alarms, and security cameras. This system also produces alumni/ courtesy IDs, and college driver’s licenses.
- Coordinates dispatch and deployment of Public Safety officers and Facilities Services personnel by appropriately communicating by radio or phone with public safety officers, facilities personnel, night watchpersons, temporary contractual security officers, Midd Rides student staff and SES personnel.
- Maintains necessary communications with local and state police, fire department, rescue squads, and Porter Hospital.
- Must remain current on and follow DPS procedures, college rules, regulations, resources and schedules. Must participate in ongoing training sessions as required by DPS. Must be capable of training new dispatch staff as needed.
- Acts as emergency liaison for college groups traveling away from the College.
- Maintains a shift log of all activities.
- Completes, updates, and reviews databases and departmental documents.
- Utilizes databases for documentation and retrieval of information (temporary vehicle parking permits, medical parking permits, party registrations, and Language School guest housing).
- Utilizes appropriate reporting software for college community information and event information.
*Manages key check in/out for student activities, mountain club, Dining Services, Custodial Services, vendors and VIP guests housing.
- Processes parking tickets, towing charges, ticket appeals, vehicle registrations, bike registrations, college drivers license and key distribution.
- Compiles statistics of DPS activities.
- Responsible to read, respond to, and/or forward Public Safety email.
- Assist with equipment check in/out for community members (battery charger, bike pump, etc.), Midd Rides, SES (radio, vest, etc.).
Provides special services:
- Maintains lost and found property.
- Staffs academic, special events and other operations such as: Graduation, orientations, student storage open hours, and welcome centers.
- Ordering supplies, purchasing officers equipment, ordering forms, and archiving hardcopy documentation.
- Provides general information to the College community as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma is required. An associate’s degree is preferred.
- Computer knowledge and skills required.
- Specialized and on-the-job training required.
- Must maintain First Aid/CPR certification.
- On the job training and re certification provided.
- Must handle confidential matters with appropriate discretion.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays, occasional long shifts, extra shifts, and overnight shifts.
- Must have good phone etiquette, and the ability to work under short deadlines, exercise good judgment and perform well under pressure.
- Must be able to type and write legibly daily, file occasionally, stand for long periods of time occasionally and sit for long periods of time frequently.
Public relations and previous related experience helpful. Experience with MS Word, Excel and Outlook, data entry, e-mail, and internet required.Physical Demands
Must be able to stand for long periods of time occasionally and sit for long periods of time frequently.Close DateOpen Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.Recommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury website
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Vermont JobLink
- Inside Higher Ed
- Google Ads
- Seven Days
- * If you learned of this employment opportunity from a source other than what is mentioned above, please list it here.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V