Assistant Manager, Retail Foods
Requisition InformationPosted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleAssistant Manager, Retail FoodsPosting NumberS01464Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week40Regular, Temporary or TermRegularIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedHourlyGradeOP4Hiring Minimum$19.53DepartmentRetail Food OperationsLocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background CheckPosition Summary
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
This position will cover a wide variety of Retail Food Operations locations within Middlebury College’s Dining Services. These operations include The Grille, Midd Express, Crossroads, Wilson Café, and Concessions at two athletics venues. This is a hands-on position, which will oversee operational functions of each location as needed. The Assistant Manager fills in for the Assistant Director, RFO Managers and lead cooks who are absent due to scheduled time off. The Assistant Manager will also help provide temporary administrative coverage for our Retail Food Operations on campus. Provides support for a variety of catered functions and serves as a member of the management team of the Retail Foods Operations. This Assistant Manager will be required to work a very flexible schedule that will include working very late nights (3:00am on occasion) weekends and other shifts as needed.
- Provide administrative coverage for all the retail Food Locations as directed by the Assistant Director.
- Maintain excellent relationships with customers, guests, employees and managers when providing coverage.
- Help roll out new culinary programs, operational revisions and remodels under the direction of the Retail Food Operations Assistant Director.
- Will take directive from RFO managers if the Asst. Director is not present
- Do inventory audits on a bi-weekly basis for all locations.
- Oversee complete operations as the lead manager of various retail food locations for assigned periods.
- Provide support for college catering functions as needed.
- Lead all staff at each location in the manager’s absence.
*Oversee all Shift resets for employees
*Ensure 100% compliance to cashier policy and procedure
*Work and adhere to schedule
*Find coverage for missing staff if call outs occur
*Perform safe counts 3 times a day to ensure logging is 100% compliant
*Assign staff to stations and follow up with end of shift meetings and close out procedures
*Make change for currency for all units in all RFO locations.
*Offer support in all satellite units when needed
*Submit work orders on equipment that needs repair
*Maintains knowledge of and works with Asst. Director for optimized Budget performance
*Locks and secures; safe, office, units and building before ending shift
*Assist with concessions, overseeing employees and volunteers on a needed basis
*Assist in ensuring all RFO units are stocked so inventory levels are conducive to sales generation
- Perform opening and closing procedures as needed and according to location policy.
- Do nightly cash out procedures and reconciliation of cash register drawers as needed.
- Keep catering orders and catering walls updated and communicate the information to the various levels of the departments.
- Conduct safety and sanitation monthly audits and formula corrective actions if necessary.
- Other related duties as assigned.
A high school diploma or equivalent, Serve Safe Certification, and DLC Training is required.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Strong time and team management skills, the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and the ability to build and maintain effective relationships. Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and Outlook. Knowledge of Eatec inventory systems. Strong verbal and written communications. Strong motivation and the desire to grow and adapt within an ever-changing organization is essential.Experience
3+ years progressive food service/restaurant experience with knowledge of administrative functions and roles. Catering and event planning experience. Cash handling skills and good record of policy adherence is critical.Physical Demands
Must be able to work long hours and split shifts. Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Must be able to work +10 hour shifts on occasion.Close DateOpen Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.Recommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Why does working in the coffee shop environment interest you?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury website
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Vermont JobLink
- Inside Higher Ed
- Google Ads
- Seven Days
- * If you learned of this employment opportunity from a source other than what is mentioned above, please list it here.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V
- Reference Letter 1