Development Officer I
Development Officer IJob no: 668771
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 12
Major Administrative Unit / College: University Advancement
Department: Asc Vice Pres For University Development 10069230
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Administrative/Business/Professional, Financial/Accounting, PR/Media/Graphics/Comm/Fund Raising, Union
The College of Communication Arts & Sciences is seeking an accomplished, responsive and collaborative member of its Advancement Team. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development for the College, the Assistant Director of Development will serve as a major gift fundraiser for ComArtSci. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, managing a portfolio of donors for the College; building long-term relationships that promote the reputation and success of the College and MSU; managing the annual fund campaign; participating in College engagement initiatives/events and assisting the Senior Director with planning and implementing a comprehensive fund raising program in support of the College’s strategic goals and fundraising priorities.
The ability to think and act strategically will be critical to the success of this position. The Assistant Director of Development will play a key role in developing and advancing donor relationship and encouraging increased giving through the execution of cultivation and stewardship strategies for alumni and friends of ComArtSci. With a portfolio of 100-125, the Assistant Director of Development is responsible for developing ongoing personal relationships with prospects, as well as internally with stakeholders who can support the deepening of those relationships.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Solicitation, Cultivation & Discovery
- Conduct joint visits with Unit administration or other Development colleagues, as appropriate.
- Serve as liaison between ComArtSci and donors/potential donors to ensure that such information and service as may be desired is provided to the full extent permitted by University policy, rules and regulations.
- Communicate with and coordinate donor/prospect activity with fundraising colleagues across campus, including regional representatives.
- Oversee the College’s annual fund activities. Working in collaboration with university advancement colleagues to ensure strong, consistent and clear messaging on behalf of the college. This includes developing messages and materials for the annual fund campaign, Give Green Day, Greenline and other initiatives.
- Working independently and in partnership with the Advancement team and college faculty and staff to construct and execute messages for alumni and prospects.
Strategy & Coordination
- Build working relationships with internal constituents to enhance information exchange between units within ComArtSci, including advising faculty and administrators of appropriate fund raising strategies.
- Assist with the coordination of and participation in college alumni and donor engagement, prospecting, recognition and stewardship events, as appropriate.
- Prepare annual personal fundraising goals and analyze/report goal accomplishment.
- Use donor database and other tools to coordinate and track strategies, record activities, maintain updated prospect information, and manage gift documentation.
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing and/or Business; one - three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in fund raising, public relations, marketing, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have a valid driver’s license.Desired Qualifications
A Bachelor’s degree in area Communications, Public Relations, Marketing and/or Business; three years of experience in higher education fund raising, marketing or related field; or three years of progressively responsible professional experience in higher education development, public relations or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience; working knowledge of tax laws affecting charitable giving; significant in-state and occasional out-of-state travel required.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover LetterWork Hours
Work hours are 8AM to 5PM with some nights and weekendsBidding and Eligibility Ends on 9/1/2020 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Aug 26, 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 24, 2020 Eastern Daylight Time