Job location: Smith College
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-08-26
Facilities ManagementJob Description
Under the direction of the chief engineer or designee the power plant operator is responsible for safely performing a combination of functions on an assigned shift including, but not limited to assisting in the preparation of all boilers, turbines and equipment for inspection, cleaning of boilers, tanks and breeching areas, as well as make necessary repairs or
replacement to all types of pipe and boiler insulation.
• Assist in the start-up and shutdown of the boilers and equipment as directed.
• Lubricate machinery and equipment as assigned.
• Keep the control room operator and working foreman informed of all operational and safety issues as observed while performing the operational duties.
• Must observe and follow all safety rules and regulations including, but not limited to Confined Space Entry, Lockout/Tagout, etc., as well as be familiar with chemical safety and Materials Safety Data Sheets.
• Work in support of other trades as needed.
• Must be capable of utilizing all power plant related tools and equipment, as well as all computer related systems.
• Responsible for maintenance and care of all related equipment.
• Drive college vehicles as assigned.
• Responsible for cleaning vehicles, inspecting for damage and performing visual check prior to using. Reporting any issues discovered to the supervisor immediately.
• Participate in educational training and safety programs as required.
• Ability to fill in for a control room operator’s position in accordance with the union contract.
• Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, education, experience, certifications, licenses)
• High school diploma or equivalent trades school certification, GED equivalent or combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of six months experience in a power plant. Must posses a current Massachusetts Second Class Fireman’s License, per the union contract.
• Must be able to attain a First Class Fireman’s License, per the union contract.
• Must have a valid driver’s license. Must complete and comply with all college driving credentialing requirements. Upon award of this position, a Division of Motor Vehicles background check will be completed.
• Must possess ability to understand and execute written and oral instructions and relay instructions to follow-up shifts when multi-shift operations are used.
• Must be able to safely lift and carry up to fifty pounds. Must be able to bend, walk, stand, stoop, climb stairs and ladders and safely move materials and/or equipment.
Skills & Preferred Qualifications:
• Must possess ability to climb, operate rigging and work in warm cramped and confined spaces.
• Must possess ability to interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches and other specifications.
• Must demonstrate strong communication skills including oral, written and electronic.
• Must demonstrate proficiency in accessing the internet, using the college email and calendar systems, the work order system and trade related database systems.
• Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to use good judgment to take appropriate, independent action to carry out the primary functions of the job.
• Must have knowledge of OSHA regulations for the safety of the college employees, its users and property.
• Must have a clear understanding of the union contract and all college policies.