Part-Time Specialist, Learning Commons Sciences for Health Programs Tutor
Title:Part-Time Specialist, Learning Commons Sciences for Health Programs Tutor Opportunity Type:Part-time Position Type:Part-time Technical/Professional Position Classification:Non-Exempt Home Department:Learning Commons Pay Grade:PT1 Open until filled:Yes Overview:
Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live.
Compensation: Salary of $16.47 per hour as per the Santa Fe College Salary Schedule. Limited to no more than 28.5 hours per week.Description:The Tutor Training Program at Santa Fe College aims to recruit, train, support, and retain qualified personnel to work in concert with faculty and student support staff to create a holistic academic experience. The program’s ongoing training focuses on creating a culture that encourages continuous improvement for students, tutors, and other staff members. The following 6 goals focus on creating a student-centered environment that provides equal service to individuals at all levels of education and preparedness:
- Assist students to become confident, self-directed, lifelong learners.
- Create an atmosphere of collaboration, trust, and respect among students, faculty, and tutors.
- Provide consistent and standardized tutoring services for students in multiple disciplines and at all levels.
- Provide students with quality tutoring services at the SF northwest campus, as well as its satellite educational centers.
- Assist students with subject-matter questions, but also with goal setting, planning, time-management, and study skills.
- Integrate education about and referral to college resources into academic-support interactions.
- Provide tutoring to students in anatomy & physiology and/or microbiology.
- Participate in on-going training and evaluation cycle, as assigned.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Coordinator, STEM TutorQualifications:
Required: A bachelor’s degree in relevant subject matter area/content being tutored.
Other: A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Tutoring experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
Application Process: All applicants must submit an online SF Employment Application, up-to-date resume and college transcripts through the job portal to be considered for this position. Unofficial transcripts will only be accepted for review purposes. Candidates should be aware that official transcripts will be required prior to any offer of employment being made. Official transcripts for purposes of employment are defined as those sent directly from the awarding institution to an agent of Santa Fe.
All submitted materials will be routed to and reviewed by the following job contact:
Coordinator, STEM Tutor