Instructional Designer, U.S. Military Curricula Transfer-Grant Funded
Job Title: Instructional Designer, U.S. Military Curricula Transfer-Grant Funded
Location: LSC-System Office UP
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 33130
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office, University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Instructional Designer, U.S. Military Curricula Transfer will coordinate and provide support for the External Relations Department in Veteran Outreach. The designer will be responsible for contacting military formal schools in order to transfer instruction and find commonalities with the curriculum currently being taught at Lone Star College. This position will serve as a liaison between faculty facilitators and military instructional designers to engage Subject Matter Experts in a collaborative effort to create prior learning assessment crosswalks to grant college credit to Veteran students for their military training and service. This is a temporary, grant-funded position. Continuation of employment is contingent upon continuation of grant funding.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Analyze a variety course curricula, content, and materials across a broad spectrum of occupations and programs for every military service
- Find equivalences between learning outcomes and knowledge, skills, and abilities in order to create a crosswalk of programs to Lone Star College Workforce certificates and AAS degrees
- Evaluate this process and the overall prior learning assessment process for effectiveness and utilize feedback to change, refine, and improve military crosswalks
- Develops and conducts individual and group training workshops. Utilizes eLearning tools to develop web-based training. Advise online faculty on appropriate instructional technologies, including online learning/web-based formats.
- Conducts outreach to Department of Defense formal schools in order to procure curriculum for use in the crosswalk process
- Provides expert, one-on-one and small group consultation with LSCS faculty regarding military course content, teaching methodologies, and evaluation procedures
- Serves as lead regarding military transcript evaluation. Provides the baseline for those evaluations and utilizes expert knowledge to train, support and provide guidance to LSC Workforce Advisors with utilizing the crosswalk of classes to better serve veteran students' unique training and backgrounds
- Conducts quarterly Prior Learning Assessment evaluation training sessions for all campus Veteran Affairs advisors
- Actively maintains up-to-date knowledge of area and acts as Subject Matter Expert and general point of contact within Military Transcript Evaluation. Assists Workforce and Veteran Advisors with Military transcript-related questions
- Responsible for Organization Development web and intranet updates using content management system and Sharepoint
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Knowledge and ability to conduct needs assessments
- Knowledge of learning models
- Ability to work independently, multitask, and prioritize tasks
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Excellent knowledge of general office and software applications, including but not limited to Outlook, Word, a variety of database software, etc.
- roficient in Excel
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards; Some local travel within the LSC service is required
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in education and training
- Experience working with military formal school curriculum
Hiring salary range is $52,430 - $60,295
Lone Star College provides a hiring salary range for all posted full-time non-faculty positions. Where your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.Special Instructions
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.