Director of Finance
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-08-26
The University of Virginia’s School of Engineering and Applied Science is seeking a Director of Finance. UVA Engineering is among the top-ranked engineering schools in the country, and all of our departments are also among the top in their disciplines. We leverage our collaboration with UVA's top-ranked schools of business, medicine, law and public policy to provide our students and faculty with broad-ranging opportunities for education and research. We are the third-oldest engineering school in the country, founded in 1836. We are an integral part of the nearly 200-year-old University of Virginia, which was established to be an epicenter of ingenuity and knowledge creation.
This position will be a key School leader on the operations team that will help drive success in one of UVA’s fastest growing units. Operating with significant autonomy and initiative, the incumbent will oversee School fiscal processes as well as related special projects. The incumbent will be required to collaborate with senior leadership, provide direction to finance staff throughout the organization, promote operational efficiency, and own key financial initiatives on behalf of UVA Engineering. This position will report to the School’s Senior Associate Dean and Chief Financial and Operating Officer.
- Lead the overall activities of the finance team throughout the school to complete major financial deliverables, such as annual budget preparation, day-to-day fiscal transactions, internal financial audits, payment to vendors, payroll and timekeeping activities, financial reporting, cash management, investment and loan oversight.
- Track funding requests, provide appropriate analysis, recommend prioritization, and facilitate leadership decisions regarding resource allocation.
- Monitor operating budgets, revenues, and expenditures to comply with financial guidelines and policies.
- Foster a culture of compliance and adoption of best practices among team members throughout the organization.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the University and the unit on financial matters; maintain strategic financial plans to support the goals for the school. Serve on relevant institutional committees and working groups.
- Manage regular financial reporting to the Dean, Associate Deans, and faculty.
- Monitor the availability of endowment income and supporting Engineering Foundation resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant subject is required.
- At least ten years of experience in a financial discipline.
- At least 5 years of administrative and supervisory experience in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience in initiating and managing change in a large and complex organization.
- Master's degree in business, accounting, or related discipline is preferred.
- An active or previous CPA is preferred.
This position will remain open until filled. Review of Applicants will begin on September 9, 2020. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
How to Apply:
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration, please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for R0018044. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for R0018044. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.