Surgical Care Coordinator
Posting InformationPosition TypePermanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?NoPosition TitleAdmin Support Associate - AdvancedWorking TitleSurgical Care CoordinatorPosition Number00056035Vacancy IDP011920Budgeted Hiring Range$36,850 - $43,000Pay Band Information
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade EquivalentGN06Full-time/Part-time Permanent/Time-LimitedFull-Time PermanentIf time-limited, estimated duration of appointmentHours per week40Work Schedule
Monday through Friday 8am- 5pmDepartment Name and NumberCraniofacial and Surgical Care-434000Date First Posted08/25/2020Closing Date09/09/2020Position LocationChapel Hill, NCPosition Posting CategoryHealth Professional (Physician/Nurse/Other)Department Description
The Craniofacial and Surgical Sciences Unit is a newly-formed, multi-disciplinary academic unit within the Adams School of Dentistry consisting Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Craniofacial Center, Hospital Dentistry, and Orthodontics.Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description
The Surgical Care Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to assist the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) faculty with patient care management. This position ensures the efficient patient coordination of the OMFS group. This position is responsible for scheduling patients who require specialized treatment for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, organizing and coordinating the daily, weekly and monthly schedules. There are two components of this position: patient care and administration.
Patient Care – Contacting referred patients and appointing them, and registering them into all required systems. Frequently it requires communicating with the referring doctors to obtain all the required diagnostic reports, and scanning information into required systems so that files can be accessed by other staff. All relevant documents and information including faculty/surgeon notes must be communicated and disseminated in a timely manner to the insurance team for consultation charges. Prior approvals have to be submitted to the insurance company (if surgery is required), to the residents, and to other providers involved in care and treatment of the patient. Scheduling surgeries with the UNC Hospitals Main and Women’s & Children’s operation rooms through the Optime EPIC system.
Administration – Assist the faculty/surgeon with correspondence and communication with referring health care providers, and creating presentations for teaching purposes. The department must remain competitive with other institutions, and OMFS must remain available for referring doctors and facilitate easy entry into the system for patients seeking care. The Surgical Care Coordinator position is critical in this regard. If referrals and requests for consultations are not handled promptly and correctly, patients will be referred to other regional medical centers with competing divisions and craniofacial centers.Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Experience working in a medical practice or medical field with patient interaction.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills, and the ability to develop and maintain a positive rapport with patients, faculty members, management, team members, and referring providers is required.
• Ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
• Ability to maintain composure and professionalism when exposed to stressful situations.
• Ability to understand financial consequences of each patient interaction and the opportunity cost of a negative first impression to the revenue and goodwill generated.
• Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
• When appointing patients, expected to learn, understand and utilize knowledge of various medical insurance plans (participating and not participating providers).
• Experience working in a medical practice or medical field with patient interaction for at least two years, or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
• Undergraduate Degree, College Certificate, or Technical School Certificate in a healthcare-related area.
• Working knowledge of EMR software. (Specifically the OpTime module of EPIC.)
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to [email protected]
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Administrative Support Associate position.
- High school diploma/GED
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in any field
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and office support experience to equal 4 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 3 years experience)
- None of the above