Registered NurseTracking Code690-674 Job Description
The position reports to the Director of the Health Center. The staff nurse supports the University Physician and Nurse Practitioner staff. The staff nurse provides nursing care to the patients of the Health Center and promotes nursing practice at the Health Center and campus as a whole.
- Integrates assessments, pathophysiological functioning, and patient’s response to illness. Sets priorities in planning and implementing care which reflect this integration.
- Utilizes appropriate documentation as a tool to share information and communicate patient needs.
- Participates in mutual goal-setting, planning and evaluation of plan of care with the patient.
- Anticipates and plans for resolution of patient care problems.
- Utilizes Standing Orders appropriately, documents accurately, and when appropriate, follows-up for treatment efficacy.
- Supports competency of peers and health care team by sharing knowledge and expertise in the work area.
- Provides patient education that promotes preventive, supportive, and rehabilitative aspects of health care.
- When working with a health care provider, the RN anticipates and documents beyond routine vital signs, a physical assessment consistent with the patient’s presenting complaint.
- Consistently practices in a caring, compassionate, and therapeutic manner.
- Maintains patient dignity (integrity, respect, privacy, and confidentiality).
- Assumes active role of patient advocate.
- Practices in a holistic manner.
- Utilizes time management skills effectively and efficiently, reprioritizing when necessary, to meet patient needs.
- Demonstrates critical thinking based on patient needs to promote optimal patient outcomes.
- Functions with a healthy questioning attitude regarding current practice and treatment plans.
- Recognizes ethical issues (i.e., moral duty).
- Demonstrates technical competence in performing lab tests (e.g., Rapid Mono, Rapid Strep, Rapid Influenza, Urinalysis, Urine Pregnancy Tests, Finger stick blood sugar, venipuncture).
- Administer vaccines, allergy injection, and other injectable medication as needed for students.
- Administrates and manages the immunotherapy, influenza, and ‘Check it Out’ (STD testing) program.
- Promotes delivery of fiscally responsible care.
- Documentation is clear, concise, thorough and legible; follows SOAP format and utilizes established forms.
- Participates in Health Center Quality initiatives.
- Stocks rooms daily/weekly, orders and maintains inventory for medication and medical supplies.
- Orders samples from vendors
- Reviews expiration dates of supplies and medications monthly.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures, including, those involving CLIA waived testing, and OSHA blood-borne pathogens.
- Coordinates allergy/immunotherapy for students.
- Coordinates Influenza program, education, track, and participate in Indiana State funded program.
- Organize and teach CPR/AED or TB education for VU students, staff, and faculty when requested.
- Participate or organize wellness and outreach programing (e.g. smoothie day, education bulletin boards at the Union, twitter account, etc.)
- Demonstrates technical competence in operation of autoclave and proper sterilization procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned (e.g. pulls charts for review, tally’s patient survey’s, etc.)
- Assumes ownership of own actions and decisions (accountability) that impact the work environment.
- Maintains professional competency through licensing, credentialing, continuing education, and achievement of yearly goals.
- Facilitates growth and development of peers/students through formal/informal sharing of knowledge and use of available resources.
- Contributes to an atmosphere of professional collaboration and respect for co-workers. Values diversity.
- Abides by standards of professional conduct (e.g., professional image, timeliness, dependability, responsibility). See Guiding Behaviors.
- Promotes a positive work environment by demonstrating flexibility to meet Health Center needs.
- Actively listens, questions, and provides feedback in a clear, non-judgmental manner during interactions.
- Utilizes appropriate channels to assist in seeking problem resolution.
- Participates in activities which promote nursing practice within the Health Center and campus as a whole.
- Solicits and values constructive feedback in order to enhance one’s practice.
- Strives to improve clinical practice through presentation and participation in conferences, seminars, in-services, or advanced education.
- Facilitates a climate of mutual respect by sharing clinical knowledge and expertise.
- Demonstrates awareness and promotes use of new knowledge.
- Completes annual Health Center competency assessments, safety, and blood-borne pathogens training.
- Expresses commitment to the mission of Valparaiso University.
- Shows concern and interest in students.
- Demonstrates fit with the values and ethos of Valparaiso University.
- Willingly cooperates with other departments to achieve campus-wide mission.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing education program; BSN preferred, not required.
- Current licensure to practice nursing in the state of Indiana.
- Three-five years’ experience; acute/urgent care helpful.
- Current Basic Life Support certification for Health Care providers. ACLS supported but not required.
- CPR/AED American Heart Association Instructor
- TB educator, American Lung Association Instructor
- Basic computer skills.
- Possess basic nursing competencies for venipuncture, etc.
- Interest in and ability to relate to college age youth.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to maintain good patient relations in all formats of communication and adhere to total patient confidentiality and ethics.
- Understand, appreciate and commit to the goals and philosophy of Valparaiso University.
- The ability to stand for prolonged periods of time, work at a relatively fast pace, remain calm in emergency situations, and multi-task in an office environment. Position also requires, stooping, bending, reaching, and occasionally lifting. May involve occasional contact with blood-borne pathogens, communicable disease, and hazardous materials normally found in clinic environment.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Kelley Eshenaur, Health Center Director
Valparaiso, IN 46383