Director of Clinical Education
Job no: 497522
Work type: Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Behavioral Sciences, Temporary, Part Time
The department of Communicative Disorders and Sciences (CDS) values hands-on clinical instruction and supervision for student clinicians, interprofessional training, evidence-based practice, clinical innovation, community engagement, and culturally responsive practice. The Department enrolls about 250 students in its B.A. and M.A. programs, houses the on-campus Kay Armstead Center for Communicative Disorders (KACCD), and multiple faculty labs. Faculty focus areas include child language disorders, autism, intellectual disability, aphasia, augmentative and alternative communication, voice and fluency disorders, motor speech disorders and dysphagia. For more information about the department, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/cds/
Brief Description of Duties
The title of this position is Director of Clinical Education (DCE) for the department of Communicative Disorders and Sciences. The Director of Clinical Education reports to and receives direction from the department Chairperson, oversees management of all aspects of the Kay Armstead Center for Communicative Disorders (KACCD), including supervising the clinic administrative support coordinator, planning student enrolment for clinic, developing the clinic schedule, procuring clinical materials and supplies, helping to manage the clinic budget responsibly, and attending department-level meetings. The Director of Clinical Education works closely with the graduate program director, clinical educators (CEs), and KACCD student assistants.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
- Masters degree (M.A. or M.S.) in Speech-Language Pathology
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) in Speech-Language Pathology
- California licensure in Speech-Language Pathology
- Minimum 3 years post-Masters experience as a speech-language pathologist (SLP)
- Knowledge of communication disorders across the lifespan, with ability to objectively evaluate clinical performance of student clinicians.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Extensive experience with supervision of graduate student clinicians
- Experience with managing speech and hearing clinics
- Training in best practices for clinical supervision and telepractice in speech-language pathology
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range - To commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- CV or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
To receive full consideration, applications should be received by or before September 14th, 2020. Position will be open until filled.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position. For questions about this position, please contact CDS Chairperson, Dr. Nidhi Mahendra at [email protected].
Advertised: August 26, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled