Design & Content Strategist (7350U) - CIEE
Design & Content Strategist (7350U) - CIEE About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 9/9/20
California Institute for Energy and Environment (CIEE) is a dedicated group of experts working to define, plan, and manage public-interest energy research. CIEE puts leading researchers to work on energy challenges, yielding new ideas and technologies to meet California's pace-setting energy goals. In addition, CIEE has programs that support graduate and undergraduate students. CIEE also sponsors public outreach events including workshops and conferences.
CIEE operates several websites, which need to be maintained and kept up-to-date. The main CIEE website needs to be regularly refreshed with items of interest. Subsidiary websites address specific programs or research projects.
Part of the requirements for most large CIEE projects is to provide technology/knowledge transfer of project details and development. One of the quantified benefits that the project team reports at the beginning, middle, and end of the project is a project website: how much content is available, and what are the statistics (e.g., number of clicks/views, downloads/reads). Thus a key element of the research projects is the creation of project specific websites that are continually maintained with current material as the projects progress. At the end of a project, the content of a research project website is typically condensed and folded into CIEE's main website.
The overall role of the Design & Content Strategist involves applying user-centered design processes to create, evaluate and modify designs and prototypes in support of web development and producing communications, which may involve writing, editing, production and/or programming. Serves as the primary administrator of websites and digital services the Institute operates. Gathers input from users at all phases of the design process and ensures that those needs are represented in the product or service being developed. May produce specifications describing user requirements and internal structures for product or service in development.
10% Applies IT concepts to perform complex analyses and functions from multiple IT areas of specialization.
10% Plans and manages a variety of content for websites or digital products and analyses and establishes content systems and strategies; may develop web content and visual material.
10% Recommends and implements design changes as specified from user research activities. Summarizes recommendations including approaches, trends, sources and uses.
10% Designs moderate to complex web site and/or information architectures and contributes to more complex designs.
10% Designs moderate to complex user interfaces and user interface components and participates in more complex designs.
10% May design moderate to complex data/information visualizations or participate in larger visualization projects.
10% May create the visual look and feel for user interface components and page layout.
10% Liaises with developers of product/service to ensure technical feasibility and that designs are properly realized.
10% May incorporate web accessibility best practices into the user experience design process.
10% Participates in the user modeling process (such as personas and scenarios) using information gathered during user research.
This is a one-year contract appointment
- Possesses a good understanding of the user-centered design process (user research, user needs assessment, design, usability evaluation, & developer relations).
- Has demonstrated experience with implementing user interface design best practices and guidelines in websites and/or production software.
- Possesses an understanding of design principles and guidelines for area of expertise (for example, visual design, interaction design, information/data visualization, user interface programming).
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, editorial style, and punctuation, including skill to write in a clear and lively style.
- Thorough understanding of technical language and requirements of the assigned work.
- Thorough knowledge of content management systems and/or relevant web applications used for web site production, and campus-specific computer application programs.
- Possesses a basic understanding of common application architectures and IT infrastructure technologies -- especially presentation layer technologies.
- Has good skills in diagramming, prototyping and using design tools.
- Has strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-motivated, work independently or as part of a team, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
- May require basic web and/or application development skills.
- Background check required.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- This is a one-year contract position. Contract positions may be extended based on operational demand. Contract positions are eligible to participate in the health and welfare programs offered by UC Berkeley.
- Salary designated for this positionn is up to $83,900.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10249&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency