Campus Safety Officer
Campus Safety Officer
University of Puget Sound
Job ID: 5449
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary: Regular Staff Posting Details
Appointment: Regular, full time (1.0 FTE)
Position Summary: Campus Safety Officers work collaboratively with Security Services team members and others to promote a safe environment and protect the welfare of Puget Sound students, faculty, staff and campus visitors. They perform a variety of tasks that assure and enhance the safety of the Puget Sound campus and its members. Campus Safety Officers patrol campus; monitor the physical safety of campus buildings and grounds; provide courtesy escort services; and make referrals and offer a range of assistance to campus members. Campus Safety Officers remain alert to suspicious activities, investigate disturbances, provide first-line response for reported irregularities and emergency situations, support security for special events, and complete incident reports and other security related documentation. Campus Safety Officers provide leadership and training to part-time student staff members working within the Security Services department and support the success and safety of all Puget Sound students consistent with the university's mission and values. Campus Safety Officers are active members of the Puget Sound community and serve as promoters of a welcoming and inclusive culture.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Commitment to serve fairly, protect, and communicate, within a diverse campus community
- Perform regular vehicle and foot patrols on campus to ensure personal, building, and equipment security
- Respond to observations and/or reports of criminal activity
- Provides first responder medical aid to campus members
- Inspect fire safety and burglar alarm equipment; provide fire and burglar alarm response and investigation; and initiate repairs as necessary
- Complete security related documentation and incident reports
- Interact professionally and effectively with Tacoma Police and Fire, and other external agencies
- Communicate effectively using two-way radio
- Contribute to campus safety by providing various crime prevention measures
- Provide courtesy safety escorts for campus members via vehicle and on-foot
- Perform campus parking enforcement
- Mentor, train, and informally evaluate on-duty part-time student staff
- Regular attendance, including meetings and department trainings, is an essential function of the position.
- Manage, participate in, and/or complete shift duties, daily assignments and other duties as assigned to support department activities and operations and meet campus needs
Some responsibility for part-time student staff. Distribute work and guide priorities, train staff, review and approve work, contribute to performance reviews, issue oral and written recommendations, recommend corrective action.
Candidates must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- HS diploma or equivalent
- 1 year work experience in safety/security services/loss prevention or similar
- 6 months work/volunteer experience providing customer service.
- Must act quickly and accurately
- Must demonstrate good judgment
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications or ability to obtain within 6 months upon hire.
- Valid Washington state driver's license
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community; must be sensitive and proactive to the needs of all community members and nurture an inclusive environment
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays is required.
- Duty schedules may change to meet the business needs of the department and university and staff must adjust accordingly
- Ability to work independently, and approach others in a professional, respectful, and polite manner
- Physically able to run and to defend self and/or others
- Must be able to carry/drag heavy objects
- Frequently lifting/carrying up to (but not limited)1-10 pounds
- Being exposed to wet/humid conditions and changing temperatures for extended time periods
- Must have ability to function (think clearly, be alert and productive) during night and early morning shifts
- Must use campus resources to find creative solutions to problems
- Must be able to speak clearly, listen attentively, read, write, and understand English
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Experience in safety and security in higher education
- 2 years' work experience in safety/security services
- AA degree or equivalent related to security or criminology
Compensation and Benefits: Pay rate for this position is $18.25 per hour. Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices-services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed when submitted.
- Letter of Interest
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry and if applicable for the position, driving abstract, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment.
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/employment
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency