Assistant Program Director, Instruction Services Academic Engagement and Learning Services (AELS)
The University of California, San Diego Library seeks creative, collaborative, and service-oriented applicants for the position of Assistant Program Director of Instruction Services for our Academic Engagement and Learning Services (AELS) Program (Assistant, Associate or Full Librarian). AELS is a new program that blends research support and learning services with academic outreach and liaison services. This position offers opportunities to provide leadership in AELS strategic program development and to participate in delivering AELS services.
Responsibilities of the Position - The Assistant Program Director (APD) for Instruction Services is responsible for developing and facilitating the vision of Instruction Services in the Library. In partnership with the AELS Program Director and program members, the APD provides strategic leadership on instructional design, educational technologies, pedagogy, and incorporating equity, diversity and inclusion focused teaching methods into library instruction. The position includes approximately 25% time as a subject librarian providing liaison services.
• Reports directly to the Program Director and has a central role in planning, creating, implementing, and administering program services, policies, and procedures.
• Supervises the Instructional Design Librarian, Instructional Technology Librarian, Instruction Coordinator, First-Year Experience Librarian, and up to seven subject liaison librarians. Responsible for hiring, evaluating, training, and developing direct and indirect reports.
• Serves on the AELS management team responsible for making decisions on budgeting, resources, and staffing in collaboration with the Program Director.
• Provides administrative and operational oversight for Instruction Services, including college writing programs and other information literacy instruction in a variety of formats.
• Develops and implements strategies for increasing inclusion, equity, and accessibility in library instructional activities, tools, and content.
• Promotes library instruction services to campus partners and identifies opportunities for the Library to contribute to the instruction mission of campus programs.
• In consultation with PD and instruction providers from all library programs, ensure that AELS provides educational technologies, training and other support for liaison librarians in reaching their instructional aims.
• Provides liaison services, including outreach, instruction, research consultation services, and collection development in an assigned subject area, or as needed in collaboration with others.
● MLS/MLIS or equivalent advanced degree. Other appropriate degree or equivalent experience in one or more fields related to library services may be substituted.
● Demonstrated experience in a library supervisory position. Other leadership or coordinator roles overseeing library services or functions would also be considered.
● Ability to set priorities, make informed decisions, and build team motivation and consensus.
● Experience in providing information literacy instruction and demonstrated commitment to developing content and delivery methods that meet the diverse needs of our students and faculty.
● Demonstrated cultural competence and ability to provide leadership in ways that increase equity and inclusion.
● Excellent analytical and organizational skills and ability to plan, document, and complete projects.
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
● Commitment to excellence in service and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with faculty, students, staff and colleagues from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
UC San Diego Library knows the value of finding the right talent, and offers a robust relocation and professional development package, along with comprehensive health and retirement benefits.
Your employment decisions may also involve dual career considerations. For this reason, we provide online and in-person career and relocation assistance to spouses and partners of academic appointees in our Partner Opportunities Program. https://aps.ucsd.edu/services/pop/about.html#Am-I-guaranteed-a-job-through-P
For full consideration, applications must be submitted to https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF02535. Applications will be begin being review on 09/21/20 and the position will remain open until filled.
AA-EOE: UCSD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.