The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is looking to add a savvy accounting & finance professional to our Business Operations Department. World changing energy research requires experts capable of creating and executing budgets that deliver the biggest and most effective return to our research efforts. In this role, you will support the Laboratory's budget formulation/execution activities and provide analytical/financial support to the Laboratory management.
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.Responsibilities
Financial Analysis/Budget Formulation & Execution (80%)
- Prepare various financial schedules to support the Laboratory's budget formulation and execution processes including budget, cost and staffing analyses, year planning, provisional and actual indirect rate calculations, periodic indirect rate recovery analysis during the fiscal year.
- Prepare the annual Institutional Cost Report (ICR) for submission to DOE. Utilize the ICR data from other DOE laboratories to investigate areas for which PPPL could reduce indirect costs.
- Support Laboratory management in providing input to Laboratory strategic and tactical planning exercises including, among other things, preparing the "cost of doing business" section of the annual Laboratory plan submitted to the DOE Office of Science.
- Prepare impact statements for changes in cost accounting practices for submission to the DOE for approval.
- Provide support for the Laboratory’s annual budget submission to the DOE Office of Science.
- Working with the appropriate Laboratory personnel, prepare the annual budget submission for the Safeguards and Security (S&S) program; coordinate quarterly S&S reporting to DOE, prepare responses to DOE S&S budget/financial data calls.
- Provide analytical and financial analysis support to the Budget Director and Chief Financial Officer, including responding to ad hoc budget/financial data calls from DOE.
Other Tasks (20%)
- Ensure labor and indirect rates are correctly set up in the business system's budget module and verify calculations.
- Assist in periodic updates of Budget Office policies and desktop procedures.
- Assist Principal Investigators in the preparation and submission of out-of-cycle proposals to DOE.
- Act as back-up for Strategic Planning Partnership proposal submissions.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Mathematics or similar field; MBA degree a plus.
- 3-8 years’ experience working in a budgeting/accounting environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Cost Accounting Standards and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; ability to explain and quantify the impact of alternative decisions/scenarios to address business issues.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to develop written reports concisely explaining financial analyses, their results, and the resulting recommendations.
- Ability to work with senior Laboratory managers.
- Proficient in PC applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.Salary GradeADM, 03Standard Weekly Hours40.00Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver's License RequiredNo