Provost & Vice President - Academic Affairs
Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
The University College of the Cayman Islands (UCCI) invites nomination and applications for the position of Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs. The successful candidate will be a transformative, accomplished, and strategic leader committed to academic excellence. This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced and accomplished leader with significant potential to influence and shape the future of higher education at a national level.
UCCI is the national public university of the Cayman Islands with a strong focus on experiential learning across the spectrum of the economy. With a growing student body of approximately 1,400 students, the University provides innovative undergraduate and graduate education and workforce training. Dedicated to academic excellence and community engagement, UCCI prepares students with an educational experience that equips them with the knowledge, skill and experience to lead meaningful lives as engaged citizens and successful professionals.
The University College of the Cayman Islands has two campuses located in Grand Cayman and in Cayman Brac. The strategic plan establishes a bold vision for the University to become a student-centred, suitably resourced engine for economic development innovation and social change.
For almost 45 years, the University College of the Cayman Islands (UCCI) has been transforming the lives of Cayman's residents as the nation's premier provider of post-secondary education. Established as a Community College in 1975, our historic beginnings were fuelled by the changing needs of our society.
Today, UCCI has evolved into Cayman's choice for comprehensive tertiary education, offering innovative programmes that prepare students for a lifetime of personal and professional successes. With a variety of certificates, undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as continuing and professional education and workforce training programmes; we are prepared to assist students at any chapter of their story.
UCCI believes in a holistic approach to education. We seek to provide high-impact teaching and learning, and student life enriched by experiential learning, leadership development, co-curricular activities. We celebrate our students’ successes and are proud to be a part of building our nation. UCCI is where education and real-world experiences converge to create the best academic setting for all who wish to have access to quality education in Cayman.
UCCI offers numerous fields of study, including business, accounting, nursing, education, STEM, social sciences, social work and the arts. Provides a safe, quality and affordable college experience that transforms lives. Our faculty and staff members represent 30 nationalities and a kaleidoscope of expertise.
The opportunity to lead as UCCI’s chief academic officer is unique. We are experiencing a growing student demand, are financially stable, are seeing increasing philanthropy and government funding including newly acquired land and capital improvements budget.
UCCI is well-positioned to create transformative opportunities through higher education. We seek a leader who will advance and support the University’s mission of fulfilling workforce development needs and contributing to the social, cultural, and economic development of the nation, region and world. For more information about the University College of the Cayman Islands, visit www.ucci.edu.ky.
The chosen leader reports to the President, and is the Chief Academic Officer of the University, serves as the Dean of the Faculty and is responsible for the formulation and implementation of all academic planning, policy formulation, and priority implementation. The position guides the allocation of resources to ensure that learning and instruction remain vibrant, relevant, rigorous and celebrates the academic standards of the University’s accrediting bodies. The Provost will serve as a principal advisor to the President along with the Vice President of Business and Finance and will be a member of the executive leadership team.
RESPONSIBILITIES The Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, leads an experienced group of chairs and programme directors who will collaborate to strengthen academic programs, shared governance and learning outcomes, enabling a transformative student learning experience.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Supervises all academic programmes and academic support services
• Provides forward-thinking, collaborative leadership consistent with the mission of the University
• Oversees the development of effective teaching and learning and compliance with university policies and accreditation requirements
• Ensures the development of educational policy, assessment, academic staffing, academic program reviews, course and programme offerings, technology-enabled teaching and learning, academic strategic planning, and fiscal management of academic programs
• Demonstrates innovative and effective leadership in advancing academic excellence at the University
• Articulates a clear vision for academic programs, the development of an academic plan and advocates for faculty needs
UCCI’s next Provost will be a strategic leader engaged with the university community and support an institutional culture grounded on holistic student support, advisement and transformative educational practices.
The candidate should have the proven track record of:
• instituting academic standards of excellence
• demonstrating extraordinary written and interpersonal skills
• cultivating an environment that embraces innovation and continuous learning
• leading successful departments or units at a senior level
• fostering a commitment to diversity and inclusion
• effectively navigating the current challenges confronting higher education
• successful academic administration leadership outcomes, including the development and implementation of academic programs, policy, budgets and assessment.
- Experience connecting strategic planning, budgeting with quality assurance and learning outcomes
- Demonstrated success with shared governance
HIGHLY PREFERRED EXPERIENCES
• Record of building strategic educational alliances with the private and public sectors including healthcare, tourism, education, financial services, logistics, finance and technology.
• Proven record of fundraising
• Experience with program and institutional accreditation
• Experience in developing international educational partnerships
• Technology enabled teaching and learning
• Education of traditional and adult students
• Enrolment management and retention;
The Provost must possess a progressive record of increasing academic leadership and a distinguished record of teaching, scholarly achievement, and professional accomplishments sufficient to qualify for appointment at the rank of Associate Professor in one of the university’s academic programs.
- A doctorate degree in education or a related field;
- Ten (10) years progressively responsible leadership experience, or relevant experience in a four-year accredited institution or the equivalent.
- Experience as an administrator in four-year tertiary institutions which hold institutional accreditation from an internationally respected accrediting body including the US and UK.
- Finalists for the position will successfully perform in a virtual and on-campus interview that includes a public presentation.