Chief Medical Officer
Job location: Translational Research Laboratories
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-08-13
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleChief Medical OfficerJob Profile TitleDirector FJob Description SummaryThe Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the “go-to” organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.Job Description
Due to the continued growth of our program, we are searching for a new Chief Medical Officer (CMO) to provide strong visionary leadership and drive excellence in our clinical research and trial design.
As a CMO, you will assume leadership, as well as a hands-on role in the strategic planning for global clinical trials by guiding your teams during the design, ramp-up, execution, and reporting of clinical studies and may require some hands-on accountability for study oversight/management. You will influence through the cross-functional team structures as well as through direct line management to guide clinical development strategy and clinical trial operations across all gene therapy programs. Providing direct oversight and mentorship to Clinical Development and Operations team, you will use your technical and strategic expertise to ensure consistent processes, excellence in planning, and execution of clinical trials within-study timelines. You will evaluate new proposed research programs, doing a complete clinical analysis, and will determine if GTP will move forward with preclinical research. Also, you will partner with Research Directors on early pipeline strategies and will work closely with Business Development to assess potential in-licensing product candidates.
Qualified candidates will have a passion for science and patients, as well as entrepreneurial drive to help the organization succeed. You will be an exceptionally sharp thinker with the ability to push innovation and creative thinking. You will also be a strategic thinker, accountable and forward-looking, and able to see larger business picture. This means flexibility, taking the initiative, thinking “on the fly”; a desire to be very hands-on, decisive, and self-assured are critical.
Joining GTP offers clinical research professionals the unique opportunity of seeing research go from bench to bedside and discoveries that could one day lead to cures.
• M.D. with board certification is required.
• A proven leader with 10+ years of clinical development experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry, with management experience
• Experience leading cross-functional teams and managing operations and scientific staff.
• Experience and expertise in the design and conduct of First-In-Human studies through pivotal programs with a track record of innovative and expeditious program and study design to demonstrate proof-of-concept, characterize dose-response and design and execute pivotal studies.
• Extensive experience leading the design, conduct, analysis, and reporting of clinical studies, including experience authoring and submitting relevant sections of regulatory submissions (INDs, CTAs and NDA/BLA/MAA) for US and exUS filings, and will have an established track record of publishing articles and abstracts in professional journals
• Demonstrated outstanding leadership of multiple development projects and teams, across multiple therapeutic areas, including rare disease strongly preferred
• Significant successful interactions with key opinion leaders and investigators
• Proven ability to effectively work in a cross-functional/matrix environment and successfully leverage internal and external partnerships
• Outstanding organizational and time management skills; proven abilities to manage multiple, often complex and sometimes competing,objectives, goals and other priorities to effective and efficient conclusion
• Strategic agility; in-depth knowledge and broad experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry and the ability to bring this to bear in accomplishing strategic goals and objectives
• Outstanding judgment and decision-making skills; past results are indicative of consistently sound and effective business decisions
• Strong interpersonal, influencing, presentation, and written and verbal communications skills; able to effectively address all levels
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.