Faculty & Program Director in Psychology
FRESNO PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
FACULTY in Psychology
POSITION: Full-time, with faculty rank; continuing status track, 11-month faculty appointment in the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Science.
STARTING DATE: October 1, 2020
The FPU Psychology program is looking for a program director to oversee a newly developed accelerated degree offering. The Psychology program has delivered a traditional bachelor’s degree in psychology for decades and will launch an accelerated degree completion model in January of 2021. The program is designed to help students finish their BA degrees by offering courses in an accelerated 6-week format, using a hybrid model of online content delivery and once a week classes. Students in this program who have 60 units can finish their degree in 24 months. Working closely with the TUG (Traditional Undergraduate) Psychology Program Director, the successful candidate will oversee and teach in the accelerated psychology program. This person will also be responsible for hiring, supporting, and evaluating adjuncts for the accelerated program.
- Oversee operation of degree completion program in Psychology at one FPU campus (North Fresno) with later expansion to other campuses based on enrollment and community interest.
- Lead the degree completion Psychology program in collaboration with the traditional undergraduate program director.
- Teach psychology classes as assigned.
- Enhance student learning by guiding a robust field instruction.
- Assist Psychology Program Director in the identification and supervision of adjunct instructors to teach in both programs.
- Represent the Psychology program and university at community and professional meetings.
- Work with local agencies to develop appropriate professional internships for program majors.
- Review student applications for admission to the program and advise psychology students in the degree completion program.
- Pursue an active scholarly agenda.
- Earned terminal degree in psychology or closely related field (candidates with a master’s degree, or those nearing terminal degree completion, may be considered); all faculty are required to complete a terminal degree.
- Ability to mentor and advise adult students in a degree completion psychology program.
- Experience in teaching at the college level.
- Knowledge of technology/learning management systems (FPU uses Moodle for LMS).
- Provide positive leadership and restorative discipline for students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to teach cross-culturally and to understand and advance diversity.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and membership in a church.
- Skills in program development and management.
- Ability to utilize professional connections in the community to develop appropriate field internships.
- Teaching experience with adult learners.
- Familiarity with the Latino community, as well as the ethnic and socio-economic diversity of the Central Valley.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea at fresno.edu/about/fpu_idea.
COMPENSATION: Dependent on qualifications and experience, and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA-CREF), Section 125 options.
APPLICATION: A faculty application is available at www.fresno.edu/visitors/careers
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Dr. Ron Herms
Fresno Pacific University
School of HRSS
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue, Box 2301
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email HRSS@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.