Mechanical Systems Supervisor
Job Title: Mechanical Systems Supervisor
Location: Academic Advising;Facilities Services
Job ID: 5480
Staff Posting Details
Appointment: Regular, full time (1.0 FTE)
- Maintains and oversees and supervises compliance of preventive maintenance program on mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing, unitary equipment and controls).
- Updates preventive maintenance, equipment schedules & performance and adds or deletes devices & equipment. Completions of preventive maintenance work orders.
- Maintains and or supervises, repair or replaces many types of mechanical equipment and plumbing fixtures.
- Complete work orders for campus community (students, staff, and faculty) submit and occasionally provide explanation concerning the repairs in their site location.
- May interact with visitors/parents concerning building issues, verifying their dependents’ safety, and facility efficiency.
- Communicate with vendors, contractors, and utilities for services or information.
- Work and consult with university staff, department managers, contractors, building officials, state inspectors and federal regulators to insure adequate and cost effective repairs and installations.
- Maintain contractor contacts for various needs on campus, some planned, some incidental.
- Conduct and supervise periodic inspections of environments for mechanical safety.
- Inspection of mechanical space, and building support system, making reports, and creating work orders for maintenance or repair.
- Keeps mechanical equipment and systems in compliance with applicable local codes and standards.
- Uses and supervises use of diagnostic equipment to analyze disturbance problems. Maintains historic profiles for building and mechanical equipment and systems.
- Supervises and inspects mechanical work accomplished by journeyman and apprentice maintenance mechanics. Signs off hours on training cards for the state licensing.
- May perform emergency maintenance, operation and repair of electrical, mechanical and structural systems of buildings and utility systems.
- May be involved in off hours activities, planned and unplanned shutdowns, and emergency response.
- Ability lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Ability pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds.
- Perform and supervise related duties as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Oversee approximately 4 staff members.
- As the supervisor, this position will work as a team member in providing services and support to all areas. This is accomplished through regular meetings and interpersonal relationships in support of the overall strategic objectives.
- In support of the mission and strategic goals of the university, the supervisor is responsible to develop, sustain, and continually assess and improve the effectiveness of Facilities Services.
- Identify and participate in resolution of departmental/institutional challenges with continuous quality improvement as a goal.
- Work collaboratively with the Facilities Services team in support of our mission.
- Participate in staff meetings, other meetings, and professional development/training workshops and seminars.
- Promote and support a professional environment that welcomes students, faculty, staff, and vendors, and enables them to access our services in an encouraging, organized, effective, and helpful way.
- As a member of the Facilities leadership team, this position is responsible for developing direct reports, managing and measuring work, and building an effective team.
- The supervisor, in coordination with HR, manager and the associate vice president, will hire, train, conduct performance reviews, take corrective action, provide positive rewards and feedback, and respond to complaints. This includes upholding the standards in the Code of Conduct and other university policies, modeling professionalism in all interactions, and respectfully hearing staff input and concerns either directly or from Human Resources.
- 4 years’ prior maintenance, repair and installation experience in mechanical systems and related building support with 2 years’ experience as a Lead or supervisor Maintenance Mechanic.
- Performs all duties of a Maintenance Mechanic.
- Ability to obtain an Operating Class IV Boiler Fireman certification (City of Tacoma) within a year period
- Supervises maintenance mechanics and other assigned personnel involved with installing, maintaining, repairing and altering mechanical systems and equipment. Resolves complex problems.
- Knowledge and experience in building HVAC and plumbing systems is essential to this position, to properly maintain and provide supervision of the unitary mechanical equipment, plumbing fixtures, and mechanical systems. Includes trouble shooting and problem solving.
- Knowledge of: standard practices, methods, materials, tools, and equipment for mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing, controls).
- Knowledge of: mechanical codes, safety precautions.
- Supervision of the lock-out-tag-out program procedures, and confined space procedures.
- Knowledge with underground equipment locator and Fluke electrical testing instruments.
- Requires residential mechanical maintenance installation and repair experience.
- Ability to work from blueprints, plans, and sketches to provide consultation to construction management.
- Assist in developing the repair and maintenance programs for new and existing campus-wide mechanical systems requirements.
- Develop preliminary cost estimates for installation and repair. Estimate materials and time needed to complete jobs.
- Keeps shop records and writes reports when required.
- Develop methods and procedures to be followed by assigned personnel.
- Lead, supervise and perform on the job skill training of assigned mechanical shop personnel.
- Assure adherence to safety rules and precautions by assigned mechanical shop personnel.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Can operate computer, knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook (email and calendar), School Dude maintenance management software, and Metasys building management system software.
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
- Building Operator CertificationHVAC Controls Backflow Testing
- ResumeLetter of Interest
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://www2.pugetsound.jobs/psp/HR92PRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;