Assistant/ Associate/ Research Professor - Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy, 76605
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 33915
Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy(KMIDE)Job Description
The Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy (MIDE) at the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC) is seeking applicants at the rank of Assistant/Associate/Full Research Professor. The outstanding candidates will have demonstrated innovative and cutting-edge research in condensed matter physics and/or electrical engineering, with emphasis on power semiconductor device simulation, design, fabrication, packaging and testing.
The successful candidate will build and be responsible for a research group that will perform advanced power semiconductor design, simulation, and characterization of system and subsystem level components for high power radiofrequency and related pulsed power research & development applications. The select candidate will have experience and understanding in cleanroom semiconductor device fabrication processes, techniques to mitigate high voltage challenges and to test prototypes against simulated/computed values. A crude understanding of ab initio based computational methods, refined experience with technology computer-automated design (TCAD) tools, experience with circuit level simulation software (e.g., SPICE), tradeoffs of various semiconductors based on their electronic, electrical carrier, thermal carrier and mechanical properties, and knowledge of means to find and mitigate/compensate parasitic inductance/capacitance are preferred.
As a research professor it is expected that the incumbent will lead and mentor graduate and four undergraduate students. The ability to perform research and support students will be highly dependent on the incumbent securing funding through proposal writing no later than 18 months after appointment to the position.
- Mentor and advise graduate and undergraduate students
- Obtain funding to support research in the area power semiconductor devices through successful proposal writing
- Characterize and improve on power semiconductor devices designed and fabricated in-house for customer specific applications
- Manage, coordinate and provide the strategy to successfully design, fabricate, test and deliver power semiconductor devices that meet MIDE programmatic needs
- Publish in relevant scientific/engineering journals and present posters/talks at conferences
- Recruit and mentor graduate and undergraduate students
- PhD in electrical engineering, physics or comparable field of study
- Demonstrated experience in the development or characterization of semiconductor devices
- Experience in suitable modeling/simulation software used in semiconductor device design and circuit level simulation including Silvaco TCAD, COMSOL, LT-SPICE or comparable packages.
- 3 years of experience designing, modeling, or analyzing circuits and their component layout using advanced electromagnetic theory such as full or partial analytical Green’s functions
- Documented track record of publishing or presenting journal articles, presentations, or posters for scientific/engineering journals or conferences
- Experience in some (preferably all) high frequency oscilloscopes, wave form generators, pulsed power sources, vector network analyzers, and other comparable technologies utilized in the characterization of RF components
- Previous experience working with/mentoring students
- Ability to hold and maintain a United States security clearance
Starting salary range is $47,476/annum to $65,000/annum based on qualifications and experience
UMKC offers competitive salary and great benefits (https://info.umkc.edu/hr/total-rewards/benefits/)Application Deadline
Open until filledApplication Instructions
To be considered, you must complete the application which contains two (2) sections: 1. Name and Contact Information 2. Combine all application materials (a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a list of at least three references) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /,&, %, etc.).
If you need technical assistance, please call 1-855-524-0002.Comments
The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area and the only public research university in our community. We offer more than 125 academic areas serving more than 16,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students from all 50 states and 85+ countries. UMKC grads are everywhere! And they’ve gone on to find success throughout the Kansas City community and beyond.
UMKC has a strategic plan with five pillars: provide exceptional student learning, success and experience; become a thriving discovery enterprise; transform our community and region with impactful engagement; foster an environment of invigorating multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion; and develop a strong and resilient people, process and physical infrastructure.
We are building a community in which we support each other, learn from each other and grow together. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the university.
UMKC is proud to be one of this region’s premier institutions of higher education and our people are our most valuable asset. To deliver on our goals, we are committed to helping all UMKC Kangaroos become their best selves while striving for excellence in everything they do.
For more information about UMKC, visit umkc.edu. You can also find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and see us on Instagram.
Opportunities to advance will be available to successful candidates who are able to fulfill or exceed position expectations. The Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy (MIDE) will be formalizing promotion plans in the near future, but will closely align to the Department of Electrical Engineering promotion procedures.Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: