Assistant/ Associate/ Research Professor - Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy, 76604
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 33895
Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy(KMIDE)Job Description
The Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy (MIDE) at the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC) is seeking applicants at the rank of Assistant Research Professor. The outstanding candidates will have demonstrated innovative and cutting-edge research in pulsed power physics, electrical engineering, or related disciplines with emphasis on state-of-the-art compact drivers, modulators or pulse forming networks, and radiators.
The successful candidate will build and be responsible for first running an established research group that will perform and oversee advanced high power microwave design, simulation, and characterization of system and subsystem level components for high peak and high average pulsed power research and development applications. The select candidate will have experience and understanding in voltage multiplication/gain from varying classes of drivers, including solid-state switches, the challenges and mitigation strategies that come with high peak and high average power systems as well as the time and frequency implications of parasitic impedance(s), and steps to resolve temporal slowing or power inefficiencies. A working understanding of computational electromagnetic tools/methods (e.g., CST micro, FEKO and/or FTDT), and a refined understanding and deep experience with circuit level simulation software (e.g., SPICE), tradeoffs of historical pulsed power systems. An understanding of power semiconductor devices, thermal mitigation strategies, and some mechanical design experience is preferred.
As a research professor it is expected that the incumbent will lead and mentor graduate and undergraduate students as a member of the graduate faculty. The ability to perform research and support students independent from the above described program will be highly dependent on the incumbent securing funding through proposal writing no later than 18 months after appointment to the position. To be clear, the candidate will be given the first twelve to eighteen months to establish their group by working on existing/funded projects while also standing up their own independent research program.
- Mentor and advise graduate and undergraduate students;
- Obtain funding to support research in the area of compact pulsed power drivers and radiators through successful proposal writing;
- Characterize, integrate and improve on compact pulse power drivers and radiators, designed and fabricated in-house for customer specific applications;
- Manage, coordinate and provide the strategy to successfully design, fabricate, test and deliver compact pulse power drivers and radiators that meet MIDE programmatic needs;
- Publish in relevant scientific/engineering journals and present posters/talks at conferences; and,
- Recruit and mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
- PhD in electrical engineering, physics or comparable field of study;
- Demonstrated experience in the development pulsed power drivers; and,
- Experience in suitable modeling/simulation software used in pulsed power driver design.
- 3 years of experience designing, modeling, and testing pulsed power drivers and radiators;
- Documented track record of publishing or presenting journal articles, presentations, or posters for scientific/engineering journals or conferences in the area of high peak and/or high average power pulsed power drivers, modulators (pulse forming networks) and/or radiators;
- Experience in some (preferably all) high frequency oscilloscopes, wave form generators, pulsed power sources, vector network analyzers, and other comparable technologies utilized in the characterization of RF components;
- Previous experience working with/mentoring graduate and undergraduate students; and,
- Ability to hold and maintain a US Security Clearance.
Starting salary range is $47,476/annum to $95,000/annum based on qualifications and experienceApplication Deadline
Open until filledApplication Instructions
To be considered, you must complete the application which contains two (2) sections: 1. Name and Contact Information 2. Combine all application materials (a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a list of at least three references) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /,&, %, etc.).
If you need technical assistance, please call 1-855-524-0002.Comments
The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area and the only public research university in our community. We offer more than 125 academic areas serving more than 16,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students from all 50 states and 85+ countries. UMKC grads are everywhere! And they’ve gone on to find success throughout the Kansas City community and beyond.
UMKC has a strategic plan with five pillars: provide exceptional student learning, success and experience; become a thriving discovery enterprise; transform our community and region with impactful engagement; foster an environment of invigorating multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion; and develop a strong and resilient people, process and physical infrastructure.
We are building a community in which we support each other, learn from each other and grow together. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the university.
UMKC is proud to be one of this region’s premier institutions of higher education and our people are our most valuable asset. To deliver on our goals, we are committed to helping all UMKC Kangaroos become their best selves while striving for excellence in everything they do.
For more information about UMKC, visit umkc.edu. You can also find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and see us on Instagram.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: