Senior Instructional Designer
DescriptionIt is a transformational time at the University of Colorado with digital education playing a key role in the future of the university. The Office of Digital Education shares the mission to serve the needs of businesses committed to advancing workforce talent, and to reach adult learners and the community with innovative educational programs, is searching for a full-time university staff (unclassified) Senior Instructional Designer position. The Office of Digital Education reports to the President and all four campus Chancellors and is leveraging the combined expertise of these innovative units to advance the campus’ capabilities to support the needs of today’s employers. As such, the unit is entering a period of rapid evolution and growth. The investment by the President’s Office in the Office of Digital Education, combined with recent commitments focused on online education by the University of Colorado Board of Regents, makes this a rare and exciting opportunity to work with this team.
Position SummaryThe Senior Instructional Designer strategically partners with schools, colleges, and university faculty to design online academic programs and courses, leading through their unique expertise as an expert in instructional design, collaborative consultation, curriculum design, and practical research. As part of a collaborative team at the Oﬃce of Digital Education, the Senior Instructional Designer will engage in thought leadership and the strategic growth of digital education at CU Denver, the Anschutz Medical Campus, and CU South Denver, sharing their innovative work to inform and lead national conversations around higher education instructional design.
Through the All Four: CU Online initiative, the Office of Digital Education is partnering with all four CU campuses in the intentional, sustainable growth of online programs. As a key member of this collaborative effort, the Senior Instructional Designer will help advance online learning across the university through their unique expertise and advocacy for faculty and students alike.
This position reports to the Director of Instructional Design and Program Development and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified System.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesDuties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Provides expert instructional design consultation to departments or schools for online academic program designs, redesigns, and curricular evaluation
- Works one-on-one with faculty in the conceptual design of academic courses, outcomes development, activity design, and cultivating intentional learning experiences
- Coaches and mentors fellow instructional designers as they advance their skills in consultation, pedagogy, instructional design, learner experience design, and practitioner-focused research
- Conducts and disseminates educational research related to online education, instructional design, pedagogy, and related areas
- Presents research findings and practitioner insights at local, national, and international conferences and/or online professional communities
- Designs and delivers original pedagogical workshops and learning experiences for faculty and instructional staﬀ audiences
- Provides direct supervision to contracted instructional development professionals and university interns in the development of new academic programs
- Manages timelines and development schedules for the design of both individual courses and new, fully online programs
- Facilitates the 8-week Online Skills Mastery (OSM) faculty development course in rotation with other senior instructional designers, providing expertise to faculty as they develop their courses
- Leads the iterative improvements of both the OSM 8-week course and the identification, design, and development of additional OSM facilitated courses for advanced and special topics
- Serves as a liaison between ODE and key campus faculty leaders in individual schools and colleges across CU
Who we are:System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in the Denver area. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses, but System Administration is not considered a campus. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty. Learn more about CU System Administration.
The University of Colorado has been proactive in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. You can visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information.
What we offer:Salary: Hiring salary is expected to be around $70,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado has been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and has issued furloughs for select employee groups. This position may be subject to furlough. You can visit our furlough FAQ for more information.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
More information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
Knowledge, Skills, and AbilitiesTo be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of trends, issues, advancements, and best practices in the field of instructional design for higher education
- Knowledge of practitioner-focused research and associated methods, such as action research
- Oral, written, and listening communication skills, including the ability to accurately interpret what others are saying and convey messages, information, concepts, and details clearly
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate interaction, communication, and teamwork between others
- Project management skills, including the ability to focus on priorities, manage concurrent design projects, and set achievable timelines
- Ability to teach others in the areas of online instructional design and the purposeful integration of learning technologies into online teaching practice
- Ability to utilize learning management systems (LMS), academic technologies, and basic workplace and media development tools (e.g. Slack, G Suite, Canvas)
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Ability to keep abreast of new and emerging technologies
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education, or equivalent professional experience (professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis)
- Four (4) years’ experience working as an instructional designer
- Experience with basic workplace and academic technologies and/or learning management systems (e.g. Slack, G Suite, Canvas, and media development tools)
- Bachelor’s or post-baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education in education, educational technology, instructional design, academic technology, or related field of study
- Five (5) years’ experience working as an instructional designer in the design and delivery of professional development for diverse audiences
- Experience working with educators, preferably in higher education
- Experience or familiarity with teaching online
- Experience with course design and program or curriculum design
- Experience collaborating with university faculty on instructional design projects and initiatives
- Experience in consultative approaches to learning design with strong relationship management skills
- Experience with project planning and creative problem-solving
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Aug 17, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing