Senior Network Engineer
Posting DetailsWorking TitleSenior Network EngineerPosting Number2020016CPClassification TitleIT Network & Telecoms - JourneyClassification Code483NTRCW Exemption CriteriaNo ExemptionEWU Position NumberC99652CUPA CodeNo MatchFLSANon-ExemptBargaining Unit BU 1% Full Time100Salary / Wage RangeI - 5Salary Information
$73,848 – $96,888Anticipated Start DateAs soon as possibleTerm of Appointment12LocationCheneyCountySpokaneProject DescriptionProject DurationBackground CheckYes - BothResponsible HR UserSaundra GodinResponsible HR User Email [email protected] Summary
Eastern Washington University is currently seeking skilled and team-oriented applicants for the following position: Senior Network Engineer
A Senior Network Engineer is responsible for the performance, integrity and security of a computer network thus ensuring that the network infrastructure is both robust and responsive to end user needs. Additionally, the Senior Network Engineer sets organizational direction and works closely with clients on tasks that include planning & development, installation, monitoring, troubleshooting of issues, repair work and maintenance of network equipment, services and systems.
This is an open recruitment, three days’ notice will be provided prior to closure of recruitment.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.Physical Demands
Optional: Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resource Services at [email protected] to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical demands.Pre-Placement Physical NoHearing Test NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire NoProtective Equipment
None anticipatedRequired Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in an information technology discipline or equivalent work-related experience.
- Eight (8) years of specific information technology network experience with Cisco switches, routers and related components.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) in Routing and Switching OR the ability to obtain certification within six (6) months of employment date.
- Experience implementing, managing and administering complex, enterprise-wide systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) in Routing and Switching.
- Experience in using a well-structured life cycle management process for implementation of changes in IT systems, including experience with project management and configuration management processes.
- Knowledge and experience working in a higher education and/or financial environment with areas dealing with information systems management and support systems.
Demonstrated abilities in each of the following areas:
- Working independently.
- Prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Effectively communicate in both spoken and written form to diverse constituencies, both technical and non-technical.
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, with occasional nights and weekendsPosting Date08/17/2020Open Until Further NoticeYesClosing DateScreening to Begin08/31/2020Special Instructions to Applicants
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3. Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
4. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Design: Create a network that supports the requirements of end users.
- Establish a network layout and topology that maximizes performance and efficiency; assure competing technologies work properly and don’t degrade existing services.
- Determine standards for implementation of network, voice and video configuration; this includes hardware, security, firmware and settings.
- Set the institutional security posture of the network environment; maintain proper separation and segmentation while maintaining connectivity requirements.
- As part of network integration, growth and planning, research and evaluate new network, voice and video technologies & standards.
- At an expert level, assess and understand client networking/voice/video requirements and needs in order to recommend improvements.
- Collaborate with business units to make sure the network meets the expectations of end users; accommodate network modifications due to remodeling, expansion or installation of new services.
- At an expert level, evaluate wireless environment and infrastructure with goal of designing a robust wireless network that addresses density & capacity in both indoor & outdoor spaces that meets the varying needs of end user devices.
- At an expert level, design physical cable plant; set standard for cabling infrastructure.
- Design data closet spaces to properly accommodate network equipment including growth and physical access.
- Follow industry standards and accepted best practices in the creation of configurations and design frameworks.
- At an expert level, develop and collaborate on recommendations for network hardware and service acquisitions within approved budgetary constraints.
Outcome: Network design and established standards promote security, performance and connectivity.Essential Function IndicatorYes% of Time20Responsibility / Duty
Maintain: Ensure network systems are both reliable and available.
- Upgrade network, voice & video device configurations and firmware routinely to address security patches, bug fixes, performance issues and addition of new features.
- At an expert level, plan replacement of aging network devices with the goal of reducing failure and downtime.
- Prepare and review, on a regular basis, a network refresh cycle that focuses on both modernization & performance as well as incorporates industry best practices & standards for network hardware, software, protocols and overall performance.
- Audit network support equipment and replace as needed to maximize network runtime and operations.
- At an expert level, conduct maintenance in a predictive and proactive manner preventing problems before they arise.
- Balance the need for maintenance and improvements with providing campus network functionality and stability.
- Manage updated documentation of changes, additions and updates to the network.
Outcome: Network hardware is kept stable, up-to-date and service is maintained with minimal interruptions and planned downtime.Essential Function IndicatorYes% of Time10Responsibility / Duty
Installation and Configuration: Install, upgrade and provide development and design support for network services and selected applications.
- At an expert level, configure and deploy new network/voice related equipment to meet campus needs.
- At an expert level, harden network equipment to meet security requirements and prevent unauthorized or malicious access.
- Provide consultation to physical plant on configuration and deployment of infrastructure technologies that include fiber and copper.
- Deploy both wired and wireless network equipment in support of campus needs.
- Deploy both voice and video equipment in support of campus needs.
- In a collaborative manner, assist vendors in the installation of network infrastructure and equipment.
- Create detailed documentation of new installations and configurations involving network equipment and infrastructure.
- Coordinate the installation/configuration of network equipment and services with applicable business units.
Outcome: Network systems are configured and installed in support of institutional goals.Essential Function IndicatorYes% of Time10Responsibility / Duty
Monitoring: Observe and track campus network environment to identify short/long term and emergent needs.
- Use network monitoring tools and software to ensure proactive visibility of current network status & utilization with the focus of maximizing connectivity satisfaction of end users.
- Anticipate future campus needs by forecasting network usage and growth based on data collected from monitoring tools.
- On a regular basis, collect both network statistics and perform a network audit to ascertain performance and security issues; identify improvement paths and address as needed.
- Track and maintain network documentation related to hardware, software and firmware that contains model and versioning information.
Outcome: Network availability and usability requirements are met; overall network health is sustained.Essential Function IndicatorYes% of Time10Responsibility / Duty
Troubleshooting: Administer troubleshooting techniques to provide resolution to emergent and evolving network issues.
- At an expert level, use appropriate troubleshooting methodologies through all layers of the OSI model to identify root cause of problems; plan for and implement appropriate solutions.
- Work in conjunction with vendors, manufacturers, and/or support organizations as needed for resolution of network issues.
- At an expert level, review and interpret all available and appropriate documentation with a focus on problem resolution.
- Apply suitable resolution steps using applicable communication, cooperation and approval paths of break-fix items.
- Resolve unexpected issues using all available network tools and resources.
- Provide consultation and assistance in the resolution of perceived or actual issues of the network including voice and video systems.
Outcome: Troubleshoot network problems with emphasis placed on minimizing both network downtime and overall outage coverage area as well as providing prompt remediation of unexpected issues.Essential Function IndicatorYes% of Time10Responsibility / Duty
Administration: Perform administrative tasks in support of other network related job duties.
- Develop and maintain detailed documentation for all job duties to provide repeatability and business continuity.
- Maintain documentation related to budgetary tracking.
- Pursue professional development opportunities to keep current with technological advancements and improve skills set.
- Obtain and maintain required certification.
- Ensure licensing requirements and hardware warranty components for network environment products and services are met and up-to-date.
- Carry out, in a timely manner, the successful resolution of work orders.
- Interact with customer to ensure the partnership is meeting both customer satisfaction and evolving needs.
- Anticipate future campus needs by forecasting system usage and growth based on data collected from applicable systems.
Outcome: Undertake administrative tasks and responsibilities that ensure business continuity and network availability.Essential Function IndicatorYes% of Time10Responsibility / Duty
Supervision: Perform supervisory tasks in support of the network services team and related job duties.
- Supervise, motivate and evaluate subordinate staff.
- Set operational direction on network projects and sustainability efforts by overseeing and providing general oversight in regards to tasks, jobs, duties, scheduling, delegation and projects, as related to the network services team.
- Develop and maintain collaboration and cohesiveness across all segments of the campus.
Outcome: Undertake administrative tasks and responsibilities that ensure both business continuity and job satisfaction.Essential Function IndicatorYesPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Diversity Response
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2