Temporary Coordinator of Residence Life
Temporary Coordinator of Residence Life
Founded in 1869, Chatham University has an enrollment of over 2,200 students across over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs in our areas of excellence: sustainability & health, the arts & sciences and business & communications. Chatham has consistently been named a College of Distinction and a "Best College" by U.S. News & World Report, and--as the alma mater of environmental icon, Rachel Carson (Class of '29)--is perennially ranked as one of the greenest colleges in the United States by Sierra Magazine and the Princeton Review.
Chatham's mission is: "to prepare students to build lives of purpose, value and fulfilling work...by preparing graduates to be informed and engaged citizens in their communities; to recognize and respect diversity of culture, identity, and opinion; and to live sustainably." Building on this mission, Chatham is committed to creating a supportive and inclusive learning, living and working environment for all members of the campus community.
Chatham consists of the School of Health Sciences; the Falk School of Sustainability & Environment; the School of Arts, Science and Business; and the School for Continuing & Professional Studies.
Located in Pittsburgh, PA--one of the country's most livable cities and great college towns--Chatham is spread across three distinct locations: the historic arboretum, Shadyside Campus; Chatham Eastside in the fast-growing East End; and Eden Hall Campus, one of the world's most sustainable campuses.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
To help support the work of the University, we have an immediate opening for a Temporary Coordinator of Residence Life.
Position Reports to: Director of Residence Life
Position Summary: The Coordinator of Residence Life position is a temporary, live-on position responsible for supporting the mission of Chatham University, Student Affairs, and Residence Life. This position will support the overall residence life team, manage the quarantine and isolation protocols for students, and assist with resident and community education and training.
The Coordinator should be a detailed-oriented individual who is committed to fostering a safe and healthy environment for students. This position serves in the on-call duty rotation and involves high student contact, which includes frequent evening and weekend hours.
- Bachelor's degree. Preferred candidate will have experience working in Residence Life either as a professional or as a student leader.
- Comprehensive understanding, appreciation and support of student life at a small, private institution and a commitment to improving the lives of students.
- Possess impeccable judgement, tolerance for ambiguity in diverse situations and commitment to the student affairs profession. Ability to embrace and support a culture of collegiality, diversity, equity and inclusion, and demonstrated understanding of and strong commitment to customer service and a student-centered experience. Excellent organizational, oral, written, and online communication skills.Sound judgement and ability to resolve student issues and crisis situations effectively.Ability to multitask, meet established deadlines and demonstrate initiative and flexibility. Excellent interpersonal skills, with special sensitivity to the needs of a diverse student population.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage isolation/quarantine spaces on-campus, both before, during, and after a student has been placed in quarantine, which includes:
- Providing instructions to students on the process of moving into the self-isolation/quarantine housing.
- Ensure self-isolation/quarantine spaces have supply kits and oversee the replenishment of supplied based on use and student requests.
- Responsible for room assignment and coordination of keys and room access.
- Coordinate testing of students with Health Services
- Coordinate the meal delivery process and deliver food if applicable.
- Provide support to students in self-isolation/quarantine and make periodic contact with students.
- Coordinate laundry services or assign time slots for students in isolation/quarantine.
- Oversee the exit process for leaving self-isolation/quarantine in consultation with Student Affairs, Residence Life, Health Services, and Facilities.
- Coordinate cleaning and turn-over of self-isolation/quarantine spaces and the student's permanent housing assignment.
- Participate in the contact tracing process, which includes conducting interviews and serving on a team of contact tracers. Note, priority will be overseeing isolation/quarantine and this position will contact trace as needed.
- Conduct COVID-19 related safety training and programs for residential students and assist with campus-wide programs
- Assist with the implementation of the health screening and Cougar Cares initiative.
- Serve in an on-call capacity to respond as necessary to incidents where a student is directed to self-isolate or tests positive for COVID-19. Participate as a committed team member of Student Affairs in university and division committee work, projects, and overall community development.Assist the Director of Residence Life in all aspects of the management of residence life. Assist with the implementation of departmental, division, and University programs and initiates as needed (i.e. new student orientation, convocation, graduation, etc.)Participate in department and division decision making and planning and serve on University and departmental committees and work group as assigned.Perform other duties and special projects as requested and assigned by the Director of Residence Life, Assistant Dean of Students, and/or Dean of Students.