Applications Developer 2
Job Title: Applications Developer 2
Location: Case Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 8394
Job Description POSITION OBJECTIVE
Under general supervision, analyze, research, and develop customer and technical requirements. Develop and test high quality, robust applications for the university or assigned business units based on approved requirements. This can include optimization and customization of packaged applications, custom application development, and system integrations.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Design and develop applications to meet needs of the university and assigned business units. Assure software meets coding and quality standards. Create test plans, data, procedures and scripts. Test and debug applications in conjunction with business analyst and customers. Document the application and provide training and support for the system. Accommodate audience and application functional requirements during the development phase to appropriately address navigation, security, legibility, digital accessibility, and other usability needs. Work on software configuration and customization projects. Coordinate with customers and other team members. (50%)
- Design and develop programs, scripts, or procedures to extract, translate, and load data. Frequent use of APIs to transfer data between systems. Create plans to test and verify the integrity of university data. Identify data sources, data flow and data relationships. Use honesty and integrity to keep university data confidential. (25%)
- Analyze and understand processes, data, and system interactions. Configure packaged software to optimize business processes and data availability. Develop custom reports within and outside of existing software solutions, as appropriate. Provide appropriate data to the data lake for advanced processing. (10%)
- Provide technical support for software applications including analyzing, troubleshooting and resolving complex problems. Provide on-call and remote support as needed. (10%)
- Stay up to date on relevant trends in software development tools and methodology. (2.5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (2.5%)
Department: Frequent contact with UTech staff for communication with application developers, programmers, business analysts, application architects for the purpose of information exchange and to share strategies for problem resolution.
University: Regular contact with university stakeholders to collaboratively meet their application requirements including general communication, gathering requirements, providing support and training.
External: Occasional (as needed) contact vendors for the purpose of implementation, integration, and troubleshooting.
Students: Frequent mentoring contact with students in the department that are assigned to programming projects. Occasional contact with other students for the purpose of troubleshooting, technical support, and question resolution.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESMay supervise work of project team members (when assigned as project lead). Provide mentoring for junior level application developers and project analysts. May ensure others comply with established standards. QUALIFICATIONSExperience and Education: High school graduate or equivalent and at least nine years of relevant experience –OR– Associates’ degree in computer science, information technology, or related field and at five years of experience –OR– Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or related field and at least three to five years of progressive experience.REQUIRED SKILLS
- Intermediate knowledge of application development and design principles, methodologies, and tools.Demonstrated understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). Experience with Azure DevOps is desirable.Knowledge of basic principles and methods of systems analysis, including business process and entity relationship analysis tools and methods.Good knowledge of project management methods, tools, and techniques.Experience in database development, including data design, data flow, and general SQL for data access and manipulation. Experience with Microsoft SQL Server is preferred.
- Experience developing applications with Visual Studio, C#, and the .NET framework for desktop, web, and script applications. Exposure to third-party developer/UI libraries is desirable.
- Knowledge of HTML, HTML, CSS, WCAG, and other modern web standards.
- Experience with object-oriented development, entity frameworks, and client/server technology.
- Experience with report design and generation. Experience with SQL Server Reporting Services preferred.
- Ability to analyze information system needs from non-technical descriptions, and to draft explanations in lay terms. Significant amount of creativity and adaptability required.
- Must be well organized to handle the variety of problems that occur on a regular basis. Ability to take initiative to anticipate problems and deal with them proactively.
- Understands principles and practices of sound business communications including the ability to actively listen. Responsive to verbal and non-verbal clues.
- Ability to look at situations from multiple perspectives, break problems into component parts, and look for underlying causes and think through the consequences of different courses of action. Ability to identify various types of problems along with the creation of workable solutions. Requires the identification and analysis of problems, evaluation of alternatives, and provision of solutions.
- Ability to work as part of a team, being able to play the roles of team leader and team player as required.
- Ability to develop networks and use them to strengthen internal and external support. Ability to identify opportunities and take action to build strategic relationships between UTech and other university areas, teams, departments, etc., to help achieve business goals. Ability to work effectively at all levels within an organization. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
- Ability to respond to difficult, stressful, or sensitive interpersonal situations in ways that reduce or minimize potential conflict and maintains good working relationships among internal and external customers. The ability to recognize awkward or potentially embarrassing situations that sometimes arises. Always aware of tone and careful choice of words, while at the same time ensuring that the intended message is clear, polite and readily understood.
- Ability to develop in-depth understanding of client needs in order to be more helpful. The ability to consider how different audiences are likely to respond and choose the best method of communicating the message to each audience.
- Consistently models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust, openness and respect for the individual. Must have the ability to use discretion and good judgment on sensitive and important matters. Embraces diversity.
- Ability to recognize the importance of certain tasks and responsibilities and the ability to prioritize to ensure that deadlines are met. Ability to handle pressure and a heavy workload.
- Ability to be flexible to meet the constant changing scope and needs of the department, division, and customers being served. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects. Ability to optimize the use of time and resources to achieve the desired results, effectively plan and organize work to minimize crises, prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to work with technologies for which little or no documentation or precedent exists. Commitment to self-motivated lifelong learning. Ability to meet consistent attendance.
Professional office setting. The position requires typing on a computer keyboard and using a computer mouse and a printer. The employee may be required to attend meetings/functions outside normal working hours (weekend or late hours may be required during peak activity periods.) The employee may be required to carry a cell phone, during and after their normal work hours, including weekends to attend to after-hours emergencies.Diversity Statement
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Equity at 216-368-3066 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.