Research Scientist - Integrative Biology Laboratory, Dr. Edward Stites
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
This position may provide specific technical skills and/or are pursuing projects designed to strengthen research credentials. This role is intended to provide laboratory heads with flexibility in meeting changing research and technical needs. These duties may include, but are not limited to, performing basic theoretical and experimental scientific and technological investigation directed toward the acquisition of new knowledge, preparing comprehensive documented observations, analyses and interpretations of results, including technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analyses.
(85%) Experimental Research
- Make innovative contributions pertaining to laboratory experiments according to the goals of the research project.
- Design & execute experimental procedures, including new technologies, according to the research goals, with critical evaluation of research results
- Make meaningful and significant progress on independent research projects conceived by and in collaboration with the laboratory PI.
- Bring new ideas and methods to existing areas of interest with the laboratory and work to integrate them successfully into laboratory programs.
- Troubleshoot and optimize experiments to the level required for their utility on specific projects.
- Perform experiments reliably and reproducibly.
- Multi-task, including the ability to manage multiple simultaneous long-term projects and the ability to time and perform multiple experiments to maximize efficiency.
(15%) Laboratory Collaborative Contributions
- Train laboratory members in new research methods.
- Provide intellectual input onto other projects within the laboratory.
- Contribute experimental support to other projects within the laboratory.
- Actively participate in laboratory meetings.
- Assist with grants and manuscripts being prepared within the laboratory.
- Contribute to shared laboratory tasks, as needed.
(5%) Scientific Communications
- Prepare research manuscripts detailing research methods and procedures, findings of research efforts, and that meaningfully place the work in context with prior work done in the field.
- Contribute to the preparation of research grants related to work performed in the laboratory.
- Prepare and give scientific presentations that clearly communicate research findings.
- Communicate with scientific and non-scientific audiences interested in laboratory research.
- Minimum 3 years of related post PhD research experience or equivalent.
- Experience in cancer biology, cellular biology, protein biochemistry, and flow cytometry.
- A history of research publications in cancer biology that demonstrate the required experimental experience.
- PhD in biological sciences or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and oversee independent research. This includes the ability to (a) develop, maintain, execute, and complete research projects of varying size and scope; (b) critically read, understand, and extract information from published medical and biological literature to prepare background information for scientific abstracts, manuscripts, lectures, and grant proposals; (c) perform basic data and statistical analysis; and (d) produce high-quality abstracts, manuscripts, lectures, and grant applications.
- Ability to independently design experiments and debug protocols.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously.
- Ability to troubleshoot and optimize experiments.
- Ability to perform reproducible experiments.
- Ability to read, interpret, and synthesize the published literature relevant to ongoing projects and have it inform ongoing experimental efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to independently evaluate administrative goals, prioritize plan for implementation, establish time lines, secure and oversee the participation of appropriate contributors, organize materials and insure quality product within established deadlines.
- Familiarity with scientific and biomedical technology. Ability to analyze and interpret data and assist with writing scientific papers and grants.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with MAC operating systems, commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office , electronic mail, and the internet.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; interact with all levels of management and employees across multiple departments. Demonstrated ability to supervise and train students and other technicians.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory management and safety procedures.
- Ability to make independent decisions, analyze situations, solve problems, and initiate actions for the effective management of a large and complex department.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to identify problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Excellent written skills and knowledge of English language, including grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation.
- Excellent oral communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, effectively, tactfully, and patiently in person, on the telephone, and in writing to a diverse group of people (including researchers, health care providers, patients, research participants, administrators, industry representatives) in the academic, scientific, and commercial communities.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
This position requires constant grasping, handling, seeing, sitting, standing, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning and working inside.