Bioinformatics Analyst II - Peptide Biology Laboratory, Dr. Alan Saghatelian
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
This position will provide computational analysis support for multi-omics (genomics, proteomics, and metabolomics), viral kinetics, high content and resolution imaging/visualization projects for the Redesigning Biology and Medicine Initiative directed by Clodagh O’Shea and Alan Saghatelian at the Salk Institute. This includes integrative genomics analysis (RNA-Seq, Hi-C, Ribo-Seq, Lipidomics, Metabolomics), high throughput and content imaging and kinetic analyses/modeling, cancer systems biology, development of novel algorithms and approaches, and active collaborative participation in research projects with members of the Redesigning Biology Initiative.
We are seeking interdisciplinary quantitative scientists who can integrate diverse approaches (e.g. computer science, mathematics, computational biology, physics, machine learning, molecular modeling, synthetic biology or engineering) to address driving biomedical challenges in diverse scientific fields, such as, Cancer, Virology, 3D Genome Structure-Function, Inflammation Metabolism, etc. The individual must be an excellent communicator who can work closely with other members of the Redesigning Biology Initiative on long-term collaborative projects to analyze, visualize and model complex datasets to identify critical growth regulatory targets and leverage this knowledge to develop novel therapeutic modalities, covering a large spectrum of scientific fields. The position will include leadership and project management opportunities, advanced training and presentation/publication of scientific work.
Bioinformatics Analysis (90%)
- Implementing, optimizing and executing computational approaches for integrative genomics analysis (RNA-Seq, Hi-C, Ribo-Seq, Lipidomics, Metabolomics), high throughput and content imaging and kinetic analyses/modeling, cancer systems biology, development of novel algorithms and approaches.
- Use published pipelines, scripts, and tools to prepare and process large datasets.
- Research, implement, and test, and present on new tools and pipelines for high-throughput data analysis.
- Keep informed of new developments and technical advances in the bioinformatics and genomics.
- Participate in the design and coding of analysis pipelines and cutting-edge bioinformatics analysis algorithms.
- Present advanced analysis results, tools, and pipelines at group meetings and contribute to publications in scientific journals.
- Active collaborative participation in research projects with members of the Redesigning Biology Initiative.
Research Design and Presentation (10%)
- Contribute and assist with project inception, experimental design, analysis and manuscript presentation.
- Assist with the preparation of data for, manuscripts, publications, grant applications, posters and other presentations.
- Present results verbally and with visual aids in one-on-one meetings, group meetings, or conferences.
- Maintain lab notebook, including experimental design, time, methods, materials and results.
- Minimum of 1 year relevant experience with analysis of large –omics datasets.
- Programming experience (Python, Java, R, C/C++, Perl, Bash).
- High content/throughput image and big data extraction/analysis
- Experience analyzing genome-wide datasets (specifically from next-gen sequencing experiments).
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX operating system in a high-performance computing environment.
- Experience with machine learning and computational modeling.
- MS degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline or equivalent relevant experience.
- PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline is preferred for this position.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams
- Must have a deep interest in biology and exploration of new frontiers in science
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with constantly changing priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to identify, download, install, troubleshoot and assess new analysis tools.
- Ability to contribute to experimental design and assist with the analysis and interpretation of results.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of biological sciences (particularly genetic and molecular biology).
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Willing to sign a confidentiality agreement
This position requires constant adjusting focus, grasping, handling, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, working in a confined area and working inside.