Inside Higher Ed, the preeminent national daily online publication about higher education, seeks a managing editor to oversee its news operation. The managing editor will be the primary decision maker for how Inside Higher Ed’s team of reporters and editors covers and analyzes the fascinating and fast-changing higher education landscape.
Inside Higher Ed, which has 3.7 million unique monthly visitors and 175,000 daily subscribers, engages in authoritative journalism that mixes news, enterprise and analysis, and its editors work closely with a talented team of reporters to conceive, craft and perfect their stories (or at least make them really, really good).
The managing editor, who will report to Inside Higher Ed’s editor, will work with and benefit from the knowledge of a group of editors with significant higher education and journalism experience. But with a mix of incisive vision, strong planning and determined leadership, the managing editor will guide the newsroom’s day-to-day work by:
- Having ultimate responsibility for what Inside Higher Ed publishes each day
- Managing a team of two section editors and eight reporters
- Working with those reporters and section editors to set the daily and long-term editorial agendas for Inside Higher Ed
- Generating story ideas and managing assignments
- Tracking production of the daily content
- Editing articles in conjunction with section editors
- Guiding our efforts to develop new ways to produce and deliver high-quality content
- Using and interpreting traffic and readership data to drive decisions about how best to serve our audience
Like all our editors, the managing editor must become a national expert on higher education. But the successful candidate need not walk in the door that way: Experience covering higher education is a plus. but not a requirement. Candidates must, however, have insatiable curiosity, an ability to connect dots, and a deep interest in the important issues affecting the landscape we cover.
Beyond COVID-19, those include access, affordability and equity; financial pressures challenging all types of colleges and universities; intensifying battles over campus culture and free speech; policy decisions designed to maintain (or threaten) educational quality, and the changing nature and the future of the faculty.
The successful candidates should have:
- At least three to five years of management experience in a professional newsroom.
- A track record of getting the best out of reporters.
Inside Higher Ed offers competitive pay, good benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental and life insurance premiums), and a 401(k) match. Centrally located in downtown D.C.; candidates will work from our office (when the world eventually returns to quasi-normal). Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three strong clips of articles they’ve had a major role in editing to [email protected]. Please include notes on how the pieces were conceived, developed and edited and what they should tell us about your editing skills and news judgment.
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor for work visas for this position.
Apply for Managing Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly