Senior Programmer and Data Analyst
This position serves the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission (Commission) and the West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education (Council) whose offices are located at 1018 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia.
Position Title: Senior Programmer and Data Analyst
Classification: Full Time, Non-Classified, Exempt, Benefits-Eligible
Overview: Reporting to the Senior Director of Research and Policy, the Senior Programmer and Data Analyst provides high-level systems analysis and programming support for state-level data submissions, state financial aid programs and ad hoc projects; and is instrumental in providing accurate and meaningful information to stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitates submission, edit checking, warehousing, and reporting on postsecondary institutional data submissions to the Commission and Council
- Works as part of a development team to maintain, enhance, and support the development of web-based computer applications
- Provides institutional and user support related to institutional data submission and other web-based computer applications
- Develops and maintains applications used by research staff to access and analyze institutional data for statutory and ad hoc reporting.
- Develops documentation of information system processes; and applies appropriate data security and role-based data access protocols.
- Assists in the development of system requirements and specifications.
- Conducts independent, high-level data analysis in support of the development of annual statutory reports
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Applicant must have proficiency in database programming via standard SQL or Oracle SQL+ and PL/SQL; interfacing web applications with SQL databases; and developing and maintaining stored procedures on relational databases
- Knowledge of SAS programming (PROC SQL/PROC TABULATE).
- Knowledge of institutional research reporting practices and data analytic principles at the institutional, state, regional, and national levels
- Proficiency in web application development using Visual Studio/C# and .NET
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Well-developed interpersonal, communication, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Must be willing to work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment
Salary Range: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
A master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field and at least five years of recent relevant work experience are required. However, candidates possessing any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
Closing date: Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Review of applications begins August 17, 2020.
Application process: Qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest, a current resume, a professional writing sample, and titles, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Candidates may be asked to complete a performance task that demonstrates their ability to analyze a sample data set and articulate findings. Final candidates are subject to employment and credential verification, as well as reference and background checks. Submit all information electronically via e-mail with “Senior Programmer and Data Analyst” in the subject line to: Ms. Vickie Hairston, HR Representative, Senior at [email protected].
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
The West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission and the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The Commission and Council provide a collegial, respectful and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity and contributions of its staff.