DescriptionUniversity of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical CampusSOM/Department of Biochemistry and Molecular GeneticsPost-Doctoral FellowPosition #00775708 – Requisition 18939
The University of ColoradoDenver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitmentto creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value theability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diversebackgrounds.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America’s most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Nature of Work, Research ProjectOur group takes an integrative approach that combines biophysical, biochemical, and biological methods to probe macromolecular structure, dynamics, and function for enzymes involved in disease. The work includes two projects:
- Using NMR to elucidate the role of enzyme motions within a family of enzymes. Both structural ensembles and relaxation methods are being used to understand how active site motions are globally controlled (allostery) and how these motions dictate catalytic function within a family of enzymes found in mammals, insects, and bacteria.
- Using Cryo-EM to determine the molecular mechanisms of giant bacterial enzymes that act as virulence factors. A combination of cryo-EM, biochemistry, and collaborative biological studies are used to fully characterize a functionally conserved family of bacterial enzymes that promote infection.
- Using biological (tissue culture) and biochemical methods to characterize Toll/Interleukin Receptor (TIR) signaling and its hijacking by bacterial TIR-containing proteins.
Salary iscommensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers afull benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, includingeligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University ofColorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe andsecure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees priorto their employment.
The ImmigrationReform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility bedocumented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternativeformats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Yourtotal compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University ofColorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributionsthat add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
TotalCompensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Pleaseclick here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
TheUniversity of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed torecruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrativestaff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University ofColorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Doctoral Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Biophysics
- Strong aptitude for independent problem-solving
- Experience in macromolecular NMR studies and strong computer skills
- Should be motivated to extend his/her training to include other techniques such as cryo-EM.
- Applicants with no NMR experience will not be considered
Considering the comprehensive list of techniques utilized in our lab, experience with other techniques beyond NMR would be beneficial (biochemistry assays and other biophysical techniques).
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Aug 4, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing