Educational Technology Consultant
This position is to support Union’s faculty and student course assistants in acquiring and improving skills in using online technology for remote teaching, and troubleshooting technical problems faculty may have in the online delivery of their courses. The Educational Technology Consultant “Ed Tech Consultant” assists faculty with answers to the question “How do I…” as pertains to available online educational platforms. This position reports to the Director of Information Technology and Media.
Term of Position/Hours per week:
Initial Term will run through June 30, 2021, renewable by mutual agreement; hours per week are variable, up to a maximum of 20.
- Checks in with all faculty periodically to assess and respond to technical needs.
- Provides workshops and webinars at least once a semester to offer technical tips and enhancements to improve faculty mastery of online teaching technology.
- Works closely with the Online Pedagogy Consultant* to help faculty prepare and deliver hybrid and online courses.
- *(The Online Pedagogy Consultant works with faculty on creative design for course learning goals. This consultant supports faculty to foster pedagogical imagination, to estimate appropriate student and faculty workload, and to choose effective online/hybrid formats; this Ed Tech Consultant position helps faculty learn and utilize the tools to best accomplish their course design.)*
- Coaches faculty on their educational technology needs across a wide range of experience in online teaching from virtually none to expert.
- Sets up Moodle web pages for all courses and manages enrollment of faculty and students on the pages.
- Works with faculty to learn to plan workarounds and backup procedures for possible technology failures, troubleshoot with faculty and students when failures occur, and debrief to prevent future technical problems.
- Regularly reads industry journals and product releases re: available educational platforms and upgrades (such as VoiceThread, online quiz making tools, Vimeo, YouTube, and presentation media for both online and in-class presentations) to be able to recommend to faculty as enhancements to teaching on Zoom, Moodle, and PowerPoint;
- Consults with IT, Academic Office, and Library staff on updating, changing, and/or acquiring additional software or subscriptions according to faculty needs and budget.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Manage work order system and track workers time against assigned work
- Plan and schedule work for both maintenance and custodial employees
- Manager maintenance contracts tracking work assignment and completion
- Possesses technical expertise of complex building and engineering systems
- Possesses ability to troubleshoot and monitor system performance
- Excellent supervisory and managerial ability
- Ability to administer maintenance contracts
- Awareness of OSHA guidelines, engineering standards, and NYC compliance mandates
- Solid analytical, negotiation, and general business skills
- Proficiency with computer technology, specifically Microsoft Office suite and building automation systems
- Knowledge of NYC building and fire department codes
- General knowledge of facilities’ work order software and systems
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Expert knowledge of the platforms Zoom, Moodle, and PowerPoint, and equal facility with PC, MAC OS and iOS systems, both hardware and software.
- Able to teach the steps in a technical process clearly, with precision, and at the pace of the person being taught. Patience is a requirement for this job.
- Bachelor’s degree in educational technology or a closely related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Three to five years of related experience in educational technology; direct online teaching experience preferred.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Effective verbal and written communications skill.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Adherence to the highest level of professionalism by demonstrating honesty, integrity, and maturity, and demonstrated capacity to adhere to FERPA and other requirements of student and faculty confidentiality.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] and indicate the specific job title in the subject line.