Facilities Management and Services Lead IV
The Custodial Area Supervisor, reporting to the Custodial Services Supervisor, will supervise a custodial crew engaged in the cleaning of a group of dorms. This is a fast-paced setting where specific job assignments, shifts and locations may be adjusted within our dorms as necessary to meet the needs of Housing & Residential Life. The position is a “hands on” and will involve lifting and/or carrying heavy objects and requires movement around the assigned buildings. It will also require going up and down stairs and going in and out of buildings throughout the day and working in a variety of weather conditions. Safety non-slip shoes are required as part of the uniform. This position will require working weekends depending on the department’s needs. The Custodial Area Supervisor will also be required to drive University vehicles and/golf carts and High Occupancy Vehicles.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please click here.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides positive leadership for assigned staff, i.e. maintaining a regular presence in assigned halls, recognizing staff efforts, leading area projects, and facilitating communication among and between all Housing Custodial staff and others
- Develops and maintains a positive environment that promotes teamwork and commitment to services
- Assists Custodial Services Supervisor with the planning and coordinating of staff activities in assigned dorms and assists in the effective and efficient staffing for summer conference efforts as well as any emergencies in the operation.
- Coordination efforts include advising the Custodial Services Supervisor on personnel matters and the correct distribution of equipment and supplies in preparing halls for occupancy
- Drives High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) for movement around the dorms, which requires a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
- Inspects dorms, which includes rooms, bathrooms, public spaces, storage spaces, hallways, fixtures and custodial equipment to observe the results of work completed. Makes recommendations, identifying procedures and products that improve quality and efficiency of custodial efforts
- Provides quality customer service to staff, students and campus visitors
- Provides information to the Custodial Services Supervisor on the status of furniture inventory control
- Assists the Custodial Services Supervisor by seeking out remedies and satisfaction during the initial stages of complaints or serious problems, applying Housing Custodial policies, procedures and work standards
- Uses and applies pertinent departmental and university policies and procedures
- Schedules work to meet requirements without interfering with residents or other staff
- Recommends materials and equipment for assigned area
- Reports problems and employee incidents as directed by management and maintains necessary records
- Assists with after-hour coverage as needed
- Ensures keys in assigned area are properly checked in and/or out daily and key log is maintained up to date
- Assists in the training of staff for emergency services during off-hours to all student dorms, seven days a week
- Trains custodians on a regular basis in procedures and in proper use of all aspects of job such as; chemicals, equipment and how to clean up water emergencies
- Assists with University online training of assigned staff and ensures completion of necessary online documentation
- Oversees the proper handling and disposal of recycling materials
- Completes administrative functions such as: payroll, leave management, training and performance management for the assigned area in an accurate and timely manner
- Checks University provided email on a regular basis to stay updated on University and departmental information such as, but not limited to: policies, benefits, departmental changes and emergency information and ensures that information is presented to assigned staff
- Assists with various departmental activities during the August student move-in process
- Performs and completes any other duties assigned or required to meet Housing & Residential Life goals and objectives
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to climb stairs, lift, twist and or bend numerous times throughout the day
- Demonstrated skill in coordinating the work activities of assigned staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated knowledge of cleaning equipment, products, techniques and standards.
- Demonstrated extensive computer knowledge Microsoft Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Four years of custodial and/or housekeeping experience, which includes one year in a lead capacity.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Experience with public speaking or presenting in front of large groups
- Two years experience in supervising a custodial and/or housekeeping area.
- Two years experience using Microsoft Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Reliable phone and transportation for participation in monthly supervisor on-call program
- IEHA Certified
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Certified in Water Damage Restoration