Multimedia Journalist IV
The Producer/Director/Editor will provide original content for multiple media platforms. The successful candidate will be an accomplished long form, documentary producer/director/ editor with a history of creating compelling natural history-related visual content for broadcast and digital platforms and an experienced journalist, with multi-media skills, strong editorial judgment, excellent interviewing skills, extensive experience in field production, knowledge of and practical experience with video photography and non-linear editing, and an individual who is naturally inclined to engage via social media.
One position will focus on the creation of multi-storied, formatted, natural history documentaries for a new series, Wild Arizona!. In addition, the incumbent will produce re-versioned “mini-documentaries” from the Wild Arizona! stories for Arizona Illustrated, AZPM’s weekly magazine series.
The second position will focus on the creation of multi-storied, formatted, history documentaries for a new series, The Arizonans. In addition, the incumbent will produce re-versioned “mini-documentaries” from The Arizonans stories for Arizona Illustrated, AZPM’s weekly magazine series.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
AZPM is an editorially independent, member-supported, non-profit public media organization serving Southern Arizona, and is provided as a community service of the University of Arizona (UA). AZPM utilizes advanced digital transmission technology to deliver three channels of public television, four channels of radio, online, and educational outreach services to audiences in all or portions of eleven Arizona counties. AZPM is committed to being a source of information that promotes thoughtful conversation and community collaboration by bringing people and ideas together.
AZPM receives a significant amount of support from viewers and listeners, the UA, grant makers, foundations and corporate supporters. Regardless of job capacity, every AZPM employee is obligated to present a responsive, professional, and helpful business image to all. As a trusted media organization that provides impartial coverage on a variety of topics, all AZPM employees are required to support the AZPM Editorial Standards and Policies and Code of Ethics and Practices for AZPM Staff, both of which are available for review online at AZPM.org.
Research subject matter, cultivate sources, develop story ideas, book guests, conduct interviews.Write and produce high-quality broadcast content, that presents complex issues clearly, maintaining a consistently accurate, fair, balanced, and professional product, meeting deadlines for the respective platform or program.
Operate video/audio equipment, non-linear video editing systems and drive University vehicles as necessary.
Write content, engage with visitors, and post on AZPM online, blog, and social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook on a daily basis.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of journalistic principles, ethics, and standard.
- Thorough understanding of cross-platform (digital, television, radio), content production techniques and workflows.
- Understanding, appreciation, and passion for topics related to community and social issues.
- Ability to produce visually forward, narratively compelling, character-driven mini-documentaries.
- Proficient with non-linear editing systems (e.g., Adobe Premier, Final Cut, Avid).
- Multi-media skills preferred, demonstrated ability and/or knowledge of digital camera operations.
- Working knowledge of online search and social media tools.
- Skill in digital editing and related production systems (Adobe Premier Pro).
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Skill in live studio, field, and remote production.
- Bachelor's degree in Digital Media, Broadcasting, Journalism, Communications or related field or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Specifically, within the 8 years of experience, 2 years of media experience in producing, editing, writing or reporting with a working knowledge of contemporary broadcast journalism standards and practices.
- Fluency in Spanish
Applicants need to submit a media file and writing sample in the additional document slot.Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.