Chair, Department of Psychiatry (Associate/Professor, NTE, T/TE) (Phoenix, AZ)
Located on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix seeks an outstanding physician-scholar/researcher, educator and administrator to serve as its next Chair, Department of Psychiatry. This is a unique opportunity to lead and build a strong academic department with a mature GME residency program and to develop focused programs of distinction.
The Chair will provide strategic and tactical leadership for all aspects of the Department of Psychiatry within the College of Medicine - Phoenix and provide oversight of the psychiatric clinical services (Inpatient Psychiatric Unit and Outpatient Services) on the Banner - University Medicine Center Phoenix campus. The Chair will work collaboratively with the leaders of the College of Medicine and Banner University Medicine Division to build on the department’s existing strengths in educational, research and clinical programs and to achieve excellence and distinction in key strategic areas. The chair will work with Banner Behavior Health facilities in our community delivery division to enhance delivery of high-quality psychiatric care.
Reporting to the dean of the College of Medicine – Phoenix for academic and research programs with matrix reporting to the Physician Executive/Chief Clinical Service Officer at Banner University Medicine– Phoenix for clinical programs, the Chair is responsible for residency programs, fellowships and undergraduate medical education activities, the department’s research portfolio and the department’s clinical activities, including the delivery of high quality and cost-effective care.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, pleaseDuties & Responsibilities
- Develop with College and BUMC-P leadership, faculty, staff and trainees a strategic vision for advancing the educational, research and clinical programs in the department with the goal of achieving distinction in areas of strategic focus.
- Develop, maintain and expand high-quality clinical services and programs at Banner - University Medicine – Phoenix affiliated teaching hospitals and clinics such that the Department of Psychiatry is recognized as a national leader in health care.
- In partnership with Banner Health System, create a vision and strategy for delivering comprehensive, high-quality mental health services to Banner patients
- Continue to develop your individual academic distinction as a faculty member and maintain clinical expertise through limited clinical practice consonant with your other duties
- Provide leadership that promotes professional development of existing faculty members and attracts highly motivated and exceptional faculty, staff and trainees to the department.
- Foster a culture of interdisciplinary research through collaboration with affiliated departments and centers, and expand an infrastructure that fosters research productivity.
- Develop key institutional partnerships and strategic relationships, and define and pursue interdisciplinary clinical and research goals that align with University, College of Medicine, and Banner Health strategic goals.
- Oversee departmental budgeting and resource management, meet departmental financial goals, and enact policies and processes that promote fiscal accountability and responsibility.
- As the educational leader of the department, ensure an excellent teaching program for the students, residents, and fellows who are receiving education and training within the department.
Identify new and expand existing sources of funding, including extramural clinical and translational research grants, philanthropy and clinical revenue.
- Monitor and consistently work to improve clinical quality.
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the department, both in the University, across Banner Health, and in the community.
- Assure implementation of University policies pertaining to faculty governance and evaluation, and actively enhance diversity.
- Be accountable for compliance with Joint Commission, Federal and State accreditation requirements, as well as compliance with University and College policies and procedures.
- M.D. or equivalent medical degree.
- Board certification in Psychiatry and actively participating in patient care
- Ability to obtain medical licensure in Arizona
- Must meet UA criteria for appointment at Associate or Full Professor.
Contact: Octavio Duarte, MBA
[email protected]Open Date2/5/2020Open Until FilledYesDocuments Needed to Apply Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant Diversity StatementAt the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.