Assistant Vice President of External Relations & Partnerships
Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-08-04
JOB TITLEAssistant Vice President of External Relations & PartnershipsLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMELeadership GivingDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYThe Assistant Vice President for External Relations and Partnerships leads a multifaceted, interdisciplinary organization that cultivates and stewards relationships with external leaders at foundations, organizations, businesses, governmental and non-governmental entities in order to advocate for and advance the university's strategic interests, raise funds for strategic initiatives such as research, elevate the university's reputation, maximize visibility and prominence, and develop synergistic partnerships. This position overseas Government and Community Relations, Corporate Relations, and Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy, each with separate goals, but often in synergistic collaborations. The position is responsible for lobbying and public advocacy functions and manages the university’s government relations firm(s). This position reports to the SVP of Advancement and works closely with the WPI President, Provost, Deans, and other senior leaders. The AVP directs budgets, personnel, and resources responsible for strategic partnerships, engagement, and outreach. The AVP is expected to have or build a broad network of key contacts and influencers, including elected officials, locally and at the state and federal levels. The AVP is also the key contact for external stakeholders and leaders locally and serves as the external face of the university. The AVP must demonstrate experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.JOB DESCRIPTION
• Typically a Master's degree, preferably with a specialization in government or community relations, public administration/relations, political science, organizational or business management, or related field. Incumbent is expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of best practices and industry trends.
• Minimum 10 years government relations or public advocacy experience in an institutional or corporate role with a record of management and supervisory experience; ability to work effectively and independently with internal and external constituencies and with professionals of varied disciplines to accomplish tasks and projects.
• Knowledge of government budgeting processes and the workings of governmental agencies is highly desirable.
• Experience working at a government agency or in the office of an elected official is a plus.
• Minimum of 5 years' experience in a senior leadership role with a hands-on collaborative style with cross-disciplinary direct reports and/or teams.
• Demonstrated experience managing and executing across multiple communications; highly developed skills in communications writing and editing;
• Highly collaborative style with experience developing and implementing strategies successfully; background that demonstrates relationship-building, consensus-building, flexibility, and managing through influencing;
• Evidence of high energy leadership style with a track record for leading both strategic and tactical efforts;
• Self-starter, able to work independently and entrepreneurially; experience creating, developing and implementing new initiatives;
• Demonstrated computer competency with common software suites, such as SalesForce and Workday.
• Ability to produce high-quality deliverables with meticulous attention to detail. Must be metrics-driven and results-oriented with demonstrated analytical skills.
• Ability to provide quick turnaround and updates for multiple requests while maintaining strong reputation of high-quality work.
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a cross-functional team.
• Must be able to perform successfully in a fast-paced, intellectually intense, and service-oriented environment. Experience working successfully within a complex organization. Willing and able to adjust to changing demands and shifting priorities
Please include a cover letter along with a resume for consideration.FLSA STATUSUnited States of America (Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.