Arts Events House Manager
Arts Events House ManagerDepartment:
Level C (Specialist)Job Description:
Coordinate the operation of the performance with the Stage Manager or Technical Director. Oversee Usher staff (1-12ppl) and assign duties as indicated. Provide for the safety of patrons, the security of the Front of the House and enforce all house policies. Ensure that the lobby, reception areas and audience spaces are prepared to receive the public. Greet the audience and assist patrons as needed.
- Arrive no later than 1.5 hours before show, or at designated arrival time on sign-up sheet.
- Retrieve supplies from usher locker (nametags, flashlights, etc) and commence pre-show checks for obstructions, trash removal, and emergency egress.
- Connect with Tech. Director or Stage Mgr. to obtain programs, performance run times, intermission length, latecomer procedures and other info as necessary.
- Connect with Box Office for any special instructions.
- The crowd manager/usher or other approved individual shall inspect the means of egress to ensure it is maintained free of obstructions, and correct any deficiencies found, prior to each opening of the building to the public for the event.
- The crowd manager or other approved individual shall prepare and maintain records of the date and time of each inspection on approved forms listing any deficiencies found and actions taken to correct them. These forms will be returned to the Department of Public Safety at the conclusion of the event.
- Assist with setting up refreshment for intermission, if applicable.
- Meet with ushers to share performance details and instructions.
- Determine and delegate performance assignments based on performance needs and number of staff. Assignments may include: Ticket takers/Program distribution at entrance, House oversight inside hall for available seating updates, Green Room for artist security, Refreshment preparation.
- Enforce House policies regarding cameras/recording devices, smoking, food/drink, and latecomer seating.
- Be available to assist patrons with questions, seating, programs, etc.
- Communicate with Box Office and Tech. Manager re: opening/closing the house.
- Oversee management of latecomer seating. Count patron ticket stubs (if applicable) and
- Open and close house for intermission in communication with the Tech. Director. Assist with intermission needs (refreshments, patron questions, etc.)
- At end of performance, clean performance space of used programs, trash and patron lost & found items.
- Do not release ushers until performance venue is clean, patrons have departed and time worked is recorded.
- Do not leave until released by Technical Director.
Education and Training
Must have completed Middlebury College Crowd Manager Training and be certified. Training shall be provided through the Environmental, Health & Safety Department on a regular basis as needed. Frequency will be determined by the EH&S Department.),
The training program must be approved by the AHJ. Previous experience in house management or ushering necessary. Understanding of performance etiquette required. Must be able to understand and speak English clearly and articulately. Supervisory and communication skills essential. Interest or experience in music, dance or theatre a plus. Must be 100% reliable, courteous, and assertive. Willingness and flexibility to work 2-4 hour shifts on evenings and weekends necessary. Flexible scheduling means a MINIMUM number of hours cannot be guaranteed.Posting Number:
Middlebury, VT CampusOpen Date:
07/31/2020Open Until Filled:
NoQuicklink for Posting: