Director of Development, Gift Planning
About the University of Denver
Located where the Great Plains meet the Rocky Mountains, the University of Denver embodies the spirit of exploration and discovery that defines our region and our history. DU is a private institution built on exploration through research and collaboration among educators, students, and local and global communities. With nationally recognized academic programs, a history of widespread influence, a forward-looking vision for a 21st-century education, and a deep commitment to promoting inclusion, we open a world of opportunity to students and empower Pioneers to make a difference around the world. Through learning, scholarship and practice, students gain the experience, knowledge and courage they need to tackle big challenges in the real world and guide diverse communities and organizations.
About DU Advancement
The University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DUs remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision. The University of Denver and DU Advancement deeply value inclusive excellence, recognizing that its success is dependent on how well it values, engages, and includes the rich diversity of constituents.
The University of Denver is seeking a driven, knowledgeable and passionate fundraiser to join our Advancement team as the Director of Development, Gift Planning. This is a unique opportunity for a talented fundraising professional to join a dynamic, growing and purposeful enterprise united around a compelling mission charted by Chancellor Jeremy Haefner and Vice Chancellor for Advancement Val Otten.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Gift Planning, the Director of Development is a key fundraising professional for the University of Denver. This position is responsible for cultivating and soliciting a full range of planned gifts from DU alumni and friends in Colorado and nationally. Such gifts include outright gifts of appreciated assets, life income gifts such as charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts, and testamentary gift plans such as bequests and life insurance gifts.
The Director will manage a portfolio of gift planning donors and prospects while also partnering with a campus-wide network of academic leaders, fundraising professionals, and other key partners to advance the University's top priorities, as expressed in DU IMPACT 2025. The Director of Development will develop and mature his/her assigned portfolio of planned gift donors. This will include managing top prospects in pursuit of individual fundraising goals set annually in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Development. The Director will serve as a close partner and key resource for other advancement professionals to solicit and close planned gifts. The campus-wide Advancement team is highly collaborative in its work and the Director will be expected to build and foster extensive value-added relationships with his/her campus partners.
The successful incumbent will possess a strong capacity for developing relationships with gift planning prospects as well as their advisors and family members, to cultivate and close complex gift plans, as well as conceive and implement customized strategic cultivation and solicitation plans for each prospect. S/he must possess excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- The Director will develop meaningful and productive relationships with a portfolio of planned gift donors including alumni, friends and parents.
- This position is responsible for engaging philanthropic support for the University of Denver, and s/he will work primarily with planned gift donors assigned to his/her portfolio.
- Collaborate with other development professionals across campus to effectively design and execute gift strategies.
- Help educate colleagues and peers across campus on gift planning techniques, and support colleagues in structuring and successfully closing gifts involving complex assets.
- Engage in the advancement goal-setting process for gift planning metrics.
- Effectively and responsibly steward budgetary and other resources to advance the University of Denver.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (Veterans with equivalent combination of military certification/education and experience may substitute for the degree qualification).
- 5 years of paid fundraising and/or relationship-based sales experience.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience working in a University setting or similarly complex non-profit environment.
- Experience securing gifts with complex assets.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.