2020-21 Student Worker, CAVE Peer-Assisted-Learning (PAL) Coach
Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-07-29
Job Description SummaryThe Center for Academic Vision & Excellence is looking to fill several Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) Coach positions for the 2020-21 Academic Year (August 2020-April 2021). The CAVE’s PAL Coach program provides non-course specific academic support for undergraduate students enrolled at Saint Leo University. PAL Coaches serve as peer mentors and facilitate the student’s (coaches) capacity to take charge of their learning. PAL Coaches support the growth and development of students by introducing strategies related to self-reflection and self-direction in learning, effective and efficient learning methods, academic and skill attainment, academic goal setting and planning, and confidence building. During scheduled work times (7-8 hours/week), PAL Coaches will need to be available to meet with students in one-on-one or group sessions (e.g., academic workshops or Pop-Ups), represent the CAVE during special university events, fairs, and visits; and may serve as class mentors for SLU 200. PAL Coaching sessions may last between 15-60 minutes and may be formal (by appointment following a prescribed plan) or informal (on a drop-in basis).
The CAVE’s PAL Coaches are expected to participate in training throughout the academic year to become familiar with the CAVE’s academic center management software, job responsibilities, and workplace expectations. PAL Coaches are under the supervision of the CAVE’s Associate Director of Student Learning.Job Description
Duties and Tasks:
• Maintain strict confidentiality of all student information.
• Ensure coachees sign -in and -out of the CAVE’s academic center management software.
• Maintain accurate and current records of each coaching session using the CAVE’s academic center
• Attend and participate in PAL Coach training sessions throughout the academic year.
• Comply with program guidelines as outlined in the PAL Coach: Peer-Assisted Learning, Procedures and
• Follow all procedures and policies set by the Center for Academic Vision & Excellence.
• Facilitate active learning by including coachees in the creation of goals and objectives for coaching
• Develop a thorough understanding of college services, supports, and resources.
• Perform other duties as assigned (e.g, workshops, PAL Pop-ups, Class Visits, Fairs).
• For select PAL Coaches; serve as a class mentor for SLU 101
• Maintain a professional attitude at all times
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Be mature, responsible, and empathetic.
- Enrolled for a minimum of two (2) terms at Saint Leo University.
- Must be a Saint Leo University student during time of appointment.
- Must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA and maintain a 3.0 each appointment term.
- Must not have any past or current student conduct cases.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a
disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform
the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in
person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University,
handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The
employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that
will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific
duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks
other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity
Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.