Director of Marketing and Communication #999680
Posting DetailsJob Summary / Basic Function
Job Summary:The Director of Marketing and Communication is responsible for providing leadership for Lamar Institute of Technology’s marketing, strategic communication, and public relations. Responsible for the Institute’s Marketing budget.
The Director for Marketing and Communication reports to the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives.
Major Essential Job Functions:
1.Marketing and Brand Management: Develops and executes marketing strategies designed to promote the President, the College, and brand positioning both internally and externally. Directs the planning, production, and evaluation of promotional campaigns and college collateral (print, website, social media, electronic)
2.Strategic Communications: Provides leadership in the planning, development and direction of communication strategies and long-range public relations program. Collaboratively works with the institution’s leaders to develop and plan public relations/media relations activities that are designed to elevate public awareness and visibility of the College (locally, regionally, and nationally). Designs, executes, and manages strategic communications plans for student, employee, crisis, and external communications. Oversees the ongoing development and maintenance of the College’s social media strategy.
3.Communications Counsel: Serves as the College’s Chief Public Information Officer. Acts as the official college media contact/spokesperson as required. Serves as key member of the College’s crisis management team. Provides strategic communications and media relations counsel, writing, and presentation support to the President, Executive Vice President/Provost, Vice Presidents, and other senior administrators at the College.
4.Marketing Governance: Develops guidelines and procedures governing the release of information by the College. Determines needs for new policies, procedures, and revision of existing guidelines related to all campus communications, internally/externally, and print/electronic. Produces and publishes training literature, material, and workshops for effective execution of marketing and communication plan for the College. Establishes and manages a formal Speakers Bureau to centralize college speaking engagements and coordinate external speakers to the campus. Provides guidance to departmental staff and assists in solutions to unusual or difficult challenges. Develops the marketing budget.
5.Develops publications to assist in institutional promotion and student recruitment, including but not limited to the catalog, view-book, brochures, and monthly newsletter.
6.Assigns, writes, and disseminates news release on the activities of the college, president, faculty, staff and students and events that occur on the campus.
7.Develops and oversees advertising for the Institute.
8.Develops and oversees the Marketing Intern program at the Institute.
9.Provides subject matter expert (SME) training through the Teaching and Learning Center to help develop LIT faculty and staff in support of the Institute.
10.Facilitates speaking engagements for the Executive team, faculty and staff.
11.Performs other related duties as required to support the mission of the College and as directed by the Executive team to include planning and execution of special events.
12.Will provide general support for the President
Other Duties as Assigned:
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the Institute.
Minimum Education Required:Associate’s degree (AA/AS/AAS) from an accredited college.
Minimum Experience Required:Minimum of five years’ experience in marketing and event management, preferably in a Texas community college, technical college, or university setting.
·Extensive knowledge of digital, print, television, and social media.
·Extensive knowledge of planning, writing, and editing publications
·Extensive knowledge of the principles and methods of planning and conducting an effective communications and marketing program, especially to drive enrollment at the college.
·Ability to establish working relationships with media, college faculty/staff, the community at large, and governmental entities.
·Working knowledge of state government and the political process
·Ability to supervise the work of others and when necessary, able to complete subordinate’s work for the efficient operation of the department
·Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally
·Ability to coordinate and execute a variety of tasks simultaneously and to exercise judgment and discretion
·Working knowledge of graphic (Adobe Creative Suite) and web applications, MS Office Suite, and MAC computers
·Excellent writing, editing, proof-reading, and communications skills
·Ability to prepare news articles and news releases
·Ability to prepare advertisements for radio, television, newspaper and internet
·Ability to prepare brochures, flyers, and other publications as needed for recruitment
·Videography skills (pre and post production) as needed for internal and external events
·Ability to receive direction from supervision and comply with state and college policies and standards
Physical Requirements:The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Conditions:The job conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment with moderate noise.
LIT Expectation of Quality:Employee will support the mission of Lamar Institute of Technology by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.
Lamar Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Preferred Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) preferred
Experience negotiating and managing contracts with Advertising Agencies preferred. Experience with Website Content Management Systems (CMS) preferred.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary$55,000 - $60,000Work HoursOpen Date07/28/2020Open Until FilledYesClose DatePosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly. As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * What is the highest level of education have you received?
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- * In what subject did you receive your degree(s)?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of marketing and event management do you have?
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7+ years
- * How many years experience do you have at a community or technical college.
- 1-3 years
- 4-6 years
- 7-9 years
- 10 or more years
- * Please rate your knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- No Experience
- Beginner - Knowledge of MS Office Programs (Word & Excel)
- Intermediate - Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Moderate - Knowledge & Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- Expert - Knowledge & Experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, & Outlook)
- Cover Letter