Position: Accountant III Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 544 # of Openings: 1 ACCOUNTANT III ResponsibilitiesUnder the direction of the Assistant Controller, the Accountant III performs difficult professional accounting work including the examination, analysis, maintenance, reconciliation, and verification of financial records; assists in the development and implementation of new accounting procedures and internal controls; maintains general ledger and prepares month-end and year-end processes. A successful Accountant II combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to analyze financial reports and performs related duties as required. The Accountant II should also possess strong Excel skills, be detail-oriented, highly organized, able to work in a team environment and perform under pressure.The Accountant II frequently interacts with all levels of functional and support organizations, management, and investment personnel; there will be contact with the outside agencies with which the College files reports. Duties
- Analyzes and prepares monthly financial analyses and reports, including balance sheet and statement of activities. Recommends and assists in the implementation of new or revised accounting systems, procedures, and records
- Collaborates with the Assistant Controller in maintaining Banner access for new and current users and maintains fund-org security. Provides training information both verbally and in written documentation
- Assists in the management of daily cash flow and other treasury functions as needed
- Reconciles income and balance sheet accounts, including but not limited to bank account reconciliations, A/P to general ledger reconciliation, and AR/Student Account Reconciliation
- Oversees drawdowns for federal NSF grants and federal funding for Direct Loans, PELL, FWS, and SEOG programs and make the college match for federal programs
- Provide oversight and assistance to Student Accounts with daily processing of receipts
- Assists in monitoring budgets
- Assists with the annual audit by preparing multiple lead schedules
- Coordinates more complex accounting projects and initiatives with other members of the Accounting and Purchasing team or with other departments within the College
- Coordinates and prepares various tax returns on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis (Illinois sales tax, Illinois hotel tax, Wisconsin sales tax, Federal 990 and 990-T, Illinois 990-T, California CA-109, Federal 1120, Illinois 1120, Federal accounting for Internationals 1042 and 1042-S, Mortgage interest-1098)
- Coordinate and prepare various reporting with other agencies, including but not limited to IPEDS and OCC
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required
- 3+ years of accounting experience
- Working knowledge of tax laws and GAAP
- Strong financial analysis skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational and stress management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly with Excel.
- Ability to train staff