Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-07-23
Job Description SummaryResponsible for the consistent preparation of innovative and creative cuisine of the highest quality, presentation, and flavor for the Dining Hall, banquets, and other food facilities, resulting in outstanding guest satisfaction.
Additionally, the Executive Chef is responsible for the smooth running of the kitchen and manages areas of profit, stock, waste control, hygiene practices, and training within the kitchen.
The Executive Chef works closely with the Catering Manager to plan and execute banquet menus.Job Description
Duties and Tasks:
- Teaches preparation according to well-defined recipes and follows up and discusses ways of constantly improving the cuisine at the University.
- Displays exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counseling employees as appropriate, and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management. Identifies the developmental needs of kitchen staff and provides coaching, mentoring, and also helping them to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Coordinates inventories and completes all food and beverage related purchasing through University-approved vendors. Ensures proper receiving and food storage standards in the kitchen.
- Should be able to provide direction for all day-to-day operations in the kitchen, understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties during employees' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance while utilizing interpersonal and communication skills to lead and influence kitchen staff.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs, and financial objectives are met.
- Actively involved in menu development, creating menu cycles for the Dining Hall, coordinating specialty menus/foods for Dining events, works with Manager of Retail Operations to create promotional menu offerings.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Ensures all equipment in the kitchen is properly maintained and in working order in accordance with the local Health Department and University standards.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on food quality, presentation, and service levels.
- Frequently reviews finished products, before and during service times, for quality and presentation before foods are served to guests.
- Able to perform additional duties as requested by the Director of Dining Services as and when required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Proficiency with computers and computer programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Five years of kitchen management or equivalent Culinary university degree.
- With a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar capacity/function within a high volume dining establishment, with a strong background in catering/banquet functions. Must have high knowledge of HACCP procedures and applications.