Position: Patrol Officer Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 543 # of Openings: 1 PUBLIC SAFETY - FULL TIME PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICERThe hours are 10 pm- 6 am Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; 11 pm – 7 am Friday and Saturday. Qualifications
- Some College required/ Bachelor degree preferred.
- Pass required background check/ and valid driver’s license.
- Proficient writing and communication skills.
- Competent in Microsoft Office/ with basic computer skills.
- Able to walk 3-5 miles per shift/ lift 40lbs/ and climb multiple flights of stairs
- Pass required 5 week Field Training.
- Able to respond first to campus emergencies with professionalism, urgency, and clear communication.
- Become proficient in the use of Public Safety and Police radio communication.
- Pass required First Aid/ AED/ CPR certification.
- Pass required Blood-borne Pathogen training.
- Pass required Control Tactics training.
- Pass required Hazardous Material Response training.
- Officers are First Responders to campus Emergency situations. Officers will follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Command Staff directives, and Field Training to assess situations, render aid and assistance as necessary, manage and investigate incidents, resolve disputes, engage and question suspects and witnesses, and using Ducomm, request Police, Fire, and EMS assistance as needed, document and make notifications as required. For this purpose, officers are equipped and trained in the use of First Aid, Narcan, Control Tactics, Expandable Baton, OC spray, handcuffs, and Ballistic-Resistant Body Armor.
- Patrols, in regular intervals, buildings and grounds of the campus by foot, Public Safety vehicle or bicycle to prevent, detect, and respond to suspicious activity and render necessary service to members of the campus community.
- In responding to incidences on campus, officers will conduct investigations to:
- Confers with individuals involved in disturbances to determine cause and course of action to take
- Questions and records statements of witnesses to reported incidents.
- Reviews all facts to determine if a crime or other violation was involved.
- Notify Police in situations requiring their presence, arrest authority, or additional resources.
- Initiate Campus-wide RAVE Mobile Safety alert system when necessary for imminent threats.
- Makes required notification to college officials.
- Files reports of facts and information involved in case for possible use by other agencies, departments, college officials or supervisors.
- Photograph persons, scenes, or property as an aid to documenting facts.
- Warns violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking, or carrying prohibited articles. Detains or expels persons engaging in suspicious or criminal acts.
- Writes accurate, clear, and professional reports of incidences, and maintain all necessary documentation for activities on patrol.Perform regular parking enforcement in campus parking lots and roads in accordance with the campus parking regulations.Attends public gatherings when necessary or as assigned to maintain order.Notify police or fire department and assist them in their response and subsequent investigations.Locks and unlocks buildings and offices at predetermined times. Inspects doors and windows to determine that they are secure.Notify Physical Plant personnel for a response to time-sensitive mechanical or maintenance issues, and assist them in documenting maintenance needs throughout the campus. Also notes real and potential fire or other hazards.Assists in managing the parking regulations on campus. Directs traffic at special functions.Wears full Public Safety uniform, including Ballistic-Resistant Body Armor and all accessories as prescribed.Participates in and passes all regular training sessions, including standard First Aid training, Bloodborne Pathogens training, ASP baton training, OC (Pepper spray) training and CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation), Control Tactics, and Handcuffing.Responds to medical emergencies and performs First Aid care consistent with training..Participates in drills and emergency precautionary demonstrations.Perform other duties as assigned.