Campus Safety Officer
Campus Safety OfficerDepartment:
Support StaffFLSA Classification:
UnionFull Time / Part Time? :
Part TimeSalary Range - Minimum:
$16.27 per hour + shift differentialHours per week:
24 hours per weekTemporary? :
07/06/2020Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
This job posting is for two positions with different shifts.
Department questionnaire REQUIRED and must be turned in to Campus Police Department by close of posting. An application must also be completed and submitted in order to be considered for this role.
Questionnaire can be located on JJC website (Resources, Services, Campus Police, Search…(type in “download police questionnaire”) click on “police-questionnaire”. The questionnaire should be uploaded with the application or submitted to the JJC Police Department by no later than September 14th.
URL to Questionnaire:
For full consideration, unofficial transcripts for the required degree (if applicable) must be attached and submitted at the time of application.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the following:
• Post-offer, satisfactory results of pre-employment background check
• Post-offer, satisfactory results of pre-employment Drug Screening for employees that are new to the College
• Post-offer, satisfactory results of pre-employment physical exam in circumstances where the nature of the work renders it appropriate or where Federal law or regulation requires
Each year, more than 35,000 students find the diverse, comprehensive high quality educational experience they are looking for at JJC. We hope that you will take a few minutes to explore the job opportunities we have available and consider becoming a part of this experience.
The recruitment of qualified and diverse faculty and staff is the cornerstone of JJC’s commitment to an innovative, collaborative and inclusive educational community. At JJC, we respect the wealth of knowledge and experience each of our employees brings to the workplace.Link to Human Resources website:
POSITION TITLE: CAMPUS SAFETY OFFICER
DEPARTMENT: Campus Police
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Support and Technical
REPORTS TO: Chief of Police through chain of command
PLACEMENT: Support Staff Grade 5
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $16.27 per hour + shift differential
Department questionnaire REQUIRED and must be turned in to Campus Police Department by close of posting.
Questionnaire can be located on JJC website (Resources, Services, Campus Police, Search…(type in “download police questionnaire”) click on “police-questionnaire”
URL to Questionnaire:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintain high visibility on campus locations; act professionally and exhibit a pleasant personality in public.
2. Assist students, staff and visitors; create a customer friendly environment; make suggestions to improve customer service.
3. Monitor the campus for building and patron safety; advise appropriate personnel of situations and/or take appropriate actions. Ask unauthorized individuals to leave the building/grounds; advise on parking violations.
4. Open and close the buildings, individual offices and classrooms and other rooms; report and lock doors.
5. Escort patrons to their vehicles upon request; assist with jump starting disabled vehicles, locked keys in vehicle, etc.
6. Make routine patrols of parking areas and advise on lighting, overnight vehicles, parking violations and unsafe or unusual conditions. Report and prepare accident/incident reports. Make safety inspections.
7. Maintain a working knowledge of all campus facilities and operations, campus staff and their vehicles, and sources of information dissemination. Assist with the administration of college policies and regulations.
8. Monitor ingress and egress of the campus; question patrons regarding removal of property from premises; report theft.
9. Respond to all requests for assistance and emergency calls. In emergency situations assist campus and local police and fire authorities.
10. Serve as a trainer and mentor for new Campus Safety Officer; assist in the training of evacuation plan sector leaders. Assess training efforts and advise on areas of improvement during post training analysis.
11. Cross train to work dispatch center. Process emergency requests for service and dispatch emergency police, fire and other public safety equipment.
12. Participate in achieving departmental and college goals and objectives.
13. Assume other duties as assigned.
1. Candidates must submit a written application and attend an oral interview if invited. A background check is required by law.
2. No experience is necessary but a strong background in safety/security is desired.
1. Twelve (12) month probationary period (per Section 9.4 Probation for New Employees).
Internal candidates must adhere to the terms of employment regarding length of time in current position as outlined in their union contract.
Joliet Junior College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action college supporting diversity.
Application Procedures: “Apply to this Job at employment.jjc.edu”
• Satisfactory results of a background check
• Post-offer, pre-employment Drug Screening for employees that are new to the College
• Post-offer, pre-employment physical exam in circumstances where the nature of the work renders it appropriate or where Federal law or regulation requires
Campus Safety Officers are non-sworn uniformed safety/security officers Maintains a highly visible professional presence on the campus in order to provide various types of immediate assistance to students, employees and visitors of the College. Maintains constant foot patrol, climbs stairs and sits or stands for long period of time. Works during inclement weather. Works at multiple campus locations; follows the various protocols of each campus. Projects a professional image and pleasant personality at all times.Minimum Qualifications:
1. Must be 18 years of age and have a High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Must pass a complete personal and criminal background check.
3. Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate cars and 15 passenger vans.
4. Must be able to walk stairs and conduct prolonged foot patrol indoors and out in all weather conditions.
5. Must be able to assist with the rescue of injured or ill persons or the arrest of criminal offenders.
6. Must be able to work varying shifts at all Joliet Junior College campuses.
7. Must be willing to be trained in CPR, AED, first aid and other emergency response as needed.
8. May be required to cross-train to operate the Dispatch Center.
9. Must successfully complete in-house, field training program and obtain a Professional Employee Registration (PERC) card through the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation or equivalent.
10. Must successfully complete training in the use of O.C. spray, expandable baton and handcuffing and arrest procedures.
1. Bi-lingual proficiency.
1. Strenuous walking, standing, lifting, and or climbing.
2. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
3. Ability to control sudden violent or extreme physical acts of others and exhibit rapid mental and muscular coordination.
1. Duties are performed outdoors in varying climate conditions and may be subjected to adverse and hazardous conditions.Compliance Announcement:
ANNUAL CLERY SAFETY REPORT (ASR) NOTICE FIRE SAFETY REPORT (FSA) and MISSING PERSON POLICY (MPP) FOR STUDENTS RESIDING IN “ON CAMPUS” STUDENT HOUSING
Joliet Junior College is committed to assisting members of the JJC community in providing for their own safety and security. The annual CLERY security compliance document along with the Fire Safety Report (FSR) and the Missing Person Policy (MPP) for students residing in “on campus” student housing is available at the JJC Police Department website : https://jjc.edu/about-jjc/police-and-safety
If you would like to receive the ASR, FSR or MPP in booklet form, you may stop by the Campus Police Department located on Main Campus in G 1013 or call Campus Police at 815-280-2234. The website and booklet contain information regarding campus security and personal safety such as crime prevention and reporting, police law enforcement authority, disciplinary procedures and other related security policies. They also contain information about crime statistics for the three previous years for all JJC campuses, property owned and controlled by JJC District 525 and on public property immediately adjacent to JJC campuses.
This information is required by law and is made available by the Joliet Junior College Police Department.