Vice Chancellor, Diversity & Inclusion
Under the direction of the Executive Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance, the Vice Chancellor, Diversity & Inclusion is responsible for establishing the vision and providing leadership, strategic direction and coordination of all diversity and inclusion initiatives at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. As chief diversity officer for the medical school, the VC, Diversity & Inclusion shapes and leads the embrace of diversity as fundamental to institutional excellence. Primary responsibility for coordination of all aspects of affirmative action/equal opportunity commitment and regulatory compliance obligations including Title IX coordinator. Responsibilities also include helping to build diverse student, faculty and staff populations; creating opportunities to engage diverse ideas inside and outside the classroom and providing programs and services that emphasize the importance of a diverse and inclusive campus environment.
Additionally, the Diversity and Inclusion Office, as a center for excellence, is the primary vehicle for guiding the implementation of cross-institutional diversity strategies and programs. Working collaboratively with UMMS leadership, the VC, Diversity & Inclusion develops and executes a coordinated and comprehensive diversity plan that cultivates an inclusive academic health sciences center. In addition, the VC will be responsible for the training and educational needs of the organization related to cultural competence, sexual harassment prevention, fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, etc.
Participates in senior leadership discussions regarding institutional policy and program initiatives, offers insight and advice on diversity, cultural transformation and inclusion. Assures UMMS policies and procedures comply with relevant federal, state and university requirements regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action. Assures accurate and timely completion of all diversity regulatory and statutory compliance obligations for UMMS and works collaboratively with UMMHC HR and Legal Departments on diversity regulatory obligations.Responsibilities
- As a key member of the Executive Team, sets the strategic direction for Diversity & Inclusion that is aligned with the mission, vision and values of UMass Medical School; plays an integral part in the institution's decision-making process.
- Provides advice, guidance and direction to leadership on Diversity & Inclusion matters including operational policies and procedures, new initiatives, and management of client relationships.
- Monitors the impact of diversity and institutional learning and development efforts and develops organization-wide business processes to increase efficiency and ensure effectiveness of Diversity & Inclusion programs.
- Encourages and supports diverse views and approaches, creating an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Provides strategic guidance for the development and implementation of systems that ensure the Diversity & Inclusion department establishes, monitors, and accomplishes its goals and responsibilities in as effective and efficient manner as possible. In addition, manages processes for communicating results and insights to appropriate stake holders and audiences.
- Provides strategic guidance for all diversity initiatives inclusive of Equal Employment Opportunity and Inclusion.
- Provides proactive and strategic leadership for continued cultural transformation and the engagement of faculty, researchers and staff.
- Serves as the UMMS champion and lead spokesperson on matters of equity, diversity and inclusion by educating constituents within and outside the campus regarding the importance and advantages of a culture that values and supports each member of the community.
- Develops key relationships throughout UMass Medical School and with external constituents within the UMMS community.
- Works collaboratively with Faculty Affairs and UMass Memorial Health Care System Human Resources to maintain effective and equitable processes for resolution of workplace issues related to diversity & inclusion.
- Ensures accurate and timely completion of all regulatory and statutory compliance obligations related to diversity & inclusion.
- Perform similar or related duties and projects as required or directed.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Development, Organizational Behavior, Psychology or related field;
- 10 years of progressively broad success in strategic and administrative leadership in diversity, equity, inclusion and/or social justice;
- Proven effectiveness and expertise in change management and preserving and enhancing a culture of respect, civility and high performance;
- Requires understanding of principles, theory and practices, technology and laws impacting organizational development and change management;
- Experience leading, managing or supporting diversity and equity-related projects across a large complex organization;
- Current active involvement in the diversity and equity field and community;
- Experience working and learning collaboratively within ethnically and culturally diverse communities;
- Experience developing and successfully delivering curriculum for trainings related to diversity, inclusion and cultural competency;
- Prior experience in the development and implementation of effective diversity strategies;
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills; creative, self-motivated and well organized; excellent problem-solving, conflict resolution skills; excellent relationship-building skills/ability to develop and sustain effective collaborations;
- Comprehensive knowledge of diversity regulatory and statutory compliance obligations;
- Strong appreciation for and demonstration of confidentiality;
- Team player oriented to collaborative problem solving to draw out other’s views in ways that lead to enriched business decisions.