Science Lab Technician - Part time
Position Title:Science Lab Technician - Part time Job Category:Staff Department:School of Science & Technology - 6010660 Division:Academic Affairs Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume Position Statement:
Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is one of 28 institutions within the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Serving nearly 13,000 students, GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 920,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology.Description:
The Laboratory Technician is a part-time position (up to 19 hours per week) reporting to a Laboratory Supervisor in the School of Science & Technology (SST). Laboratory technicians provide support for biology, chemistry, physics and/or physical science teaching laboratories under the direction of Laboratory Supervisors and faculty members. Position may require non-standard work hours including Monday-Thursday nights and Saturdays.
- Provide support for biology, chemistry, physics and/or physical science teaching laboratories under the direction of Laboratory Supervisors and faculty members in the evenings and on Saturdays.
- In coordination with laboratory supervisors and faculty, prepare and configure laboratory materials to accomplish the specific objectives of each laboratory exercise.
- Occasionally oversee student workers assigned to support the laboratory.
- Perform minor maintenance and repair as required to maintain operations.
- Report larger maintenance issues to laboratory supervisors for resolution.
- Clean glassware, laboratory spaces and equipment.
- Along with other SST laboratory supervisors and staff, the Laboratory technician is a member of the Building Emergency Response Team.
- Maintain primary responsibility for all aspects of laboratory safety including ensuring a safe operating environment for faculty, staff, and students during their duty hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Physics or closely related field
- Three years of laboratory experience
- Bachelors degree in biology, chemistry, physics or closely related field
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and credit check if applicable to the position, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Applicant must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.Work Hours:Position may require non-standard work hours including Monday-Thursday nights and Saturdays. Position Status:Part-Time FLSA:Non-exempt