Assistant Director of Web Development, UX and Content
Assistant Director of Web Development, UX and Content
Job no: 497161
Work type: Management (MPP), Staff
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, Marketing/Communications, At-Will, Full Time
The Assistant Director of Web Development, UX and Content will play a critical role in the Strategic Communications and Marketing (StratComm/Marketing) department. Under limited supervision of the Interim Director of Special Projects and Project Management for Communications, the incumbent will ensure that the SJSU website and its top-level subdomains offer website visitors a modern and engaging experience. This will be achieved by collaborating closely with StratComm/Marketing staff and other communications staff/stakeholders throughout SJSU. The incumbent will create web content strategy, develop/write web content, and build webpages as well as analyze website analytics and educate website content authors about our standards, guidelines, and best practices for the web. This role will also be instrumental in conducting user interface and user design assessment, recommendations and implementation; identifying and resolving website bugs, executing the website content strategy, working with stakeholders and vendors to plan and develop new website features, and developing the long-term vision for the institute's web presence – in collaboration with StratComm/Marketing team members, SJSU IT and other campus stakeholders. The Assistant Director will oversee the planning, maintenance, and accessibility of SJSU-owned and generated website content and content-related services. The incumbent will own process improvement across the department in collaboration with SJSU IT and other campus communications staff/stakeholders. The incumbent will also ensure the layout, positioning, navigation, and look and feel of content is consistent across the university. The incumbent will oversee one staff who serves as the Web and User Experience Designer.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Prepare and oversee long-term web content plan and strategy for website development and presence, including standards, security, and guidelines based on business goals and input from stakeholders. Enforce publication and web style guidelines for the organization.
- Conduct user interface and user design assessment and recommendations.
- Ensure new pages are user friendly and link properly with existing pages and that people can navigate easily and be linked seamlessly with other relevant SJSU web pages.
- Assist in building the underlying web site platform(s) for new and migrating websites; ensure ease of access and workflow, permissions, roles, etc. to meet client needs.
- Resolve issues that arise with the performance of the web site; ensure optimization of user experience. Work may include reformatting text, assuring hyperlink integrity, transferring and translating files, and posting of new material to the page involving HTML scripting. May maintain web site content and information flow.
- Responsible for creating and implementing effective end user experience, which may include design, web content, and mobile computing experience.
- Evaluate third-party features and services for functionality, accessibility, security, and maintainability; adapt/improve search engine optimization.
- Configure, analyze, and report statistics regarding all relevant website metrics.
- Find, diagnose, and fix content problems, including broken links, typographical errors, and formatting inconsistencies.
- Use website analytics to evaluate and propose layout and content changes to achieve website visitor engagement goals.
- Research, propose and oversee development of new website features and functionality to meet internal and external users' needs.
- Work directly with website content authors and external vendors to oversee the timely resolution of technical issues with the website.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with web applications and server products.
- Demonstrated success record with developing and managing websites.
- Solid understanding of web standards and usability methods.
- Expert knowledge of content management systems, such as Omni Update Campus, including the ability to perform standard installations and configurations.
- Ability to design and implement complex web services.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to explain technical features to non-technical customers/clients.
- Solid knowledge of web authoring and publishing tools.
- Solid knowledge of multimedia and design.
- Familiarity with a range of programming and scripting languages.
- Clear understanding of web standards and usability methods.
- Demonstrated proficiency in building applications in a web development framework.
- Understanding of systems integration and various web devices and environments.
- Knowledge of website delivery best practices.
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, marketing, advertising, and graphic design and five years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with Omni Update Campus
- Five plus years of relevant experience
- Experience with website design and development
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite and Adobe creative suite
- Excellent written communication skills
Classification: Administrator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,700/month - $7,084/month
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: July 14, 2020 through July 30, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: July 14, 2020 (8:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time